Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

TC2000 With Linux or WINE Emulator Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
cyberlight14
Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:23:47 PM
Anyone have luck getting TC2000 to run under WINE or any other emulator, since it seems a Linux compatable version is decades away??? Or is it? I work with Windows all day long at work. Never would use Windows on my personal computers.

Kevin, M.C.S.E., M.C.S.A., M.C.D.S.T., Net+, A+, Linux+ (for real)
EHunt
Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2005 12:17:42 PM
I'm sure there's a reason no one gets responses to any of the LINUX questions around here. I'll let you know if I find something out about WINE or any alternatives.
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2005 12:25:00 PM

Worden Trainer

I've run TeleChart using an old version of Win4Lin (but it hasn't worked for me using Win4Lin Pro or Wine), but such installations would not be supported by Technical Support.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
KarenChun
Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:34:18 PM
I think those of us using linux would be satisfied to be able to run TC without tech support. If you could just replace the installer and the activeX routines.

When I installed on an XP machine and copied the files to my linux laptop, it started but then died trying to create an activeX object either during or just after login.

The various activeX fixes didn't work. And activeX is one of the big MS security holes so it's not optimal to use it when you can use other more compatible and safer Windows programming libraries to accomplish the same thing.

This is not a big programming change to make TC compatible for linux/wine and it will increase your customer base.
cyberlight14
Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2009 6:14:08 PM
QUOTE (cyberlight14)
Anyone have luck getting TC2000 to run under WINE or any other emulator, since it seems a Linux compatable version is decades away??? Or is it? I work with Windows all day long at work. Never would use Windows on my personal computers.

Kevin, M.C.S.E., M.C.S.A., M.C.D.S.T., Net+, A+, Linux+ (for real)

Well...here it is four years later and still Worden has no interest in making TC2000 compatible with Linux.
There's no way I'm going back to Windows after using Ubuntu 8.04 I can do everything in Ubuntu I could in Windows, except TC2000.  Guess it's time to say so long Worden, since you've no interest in keeping up with the times.  There's other stock charting software available for Linux now.  1/23/09
NutOnABike
Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:49:26 PM
QUOTE (cyberlight14)
There's no way I'm going back to Windows after using Ubuntu 8.04 I can do everything in Ubuntu I could in Windows, except TC2000.

I've had great success running TC2007 under Linux.  On my Ubuntu 8.10 system I installed Win2000 within Virtualbox. Once I got Win2000 set up and tweaked, then TC2007 installed without a hitch. As an emulator I'm impressed by Virtualbox's speed, the performance hit seems small. V--box is a slick program; Windows and TC2007 are neatly contained in a single file about 2GB in size.

Here's a screenshot:

tcvger
Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:49:34 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Thank you NutOnABike ... I'll be giving your linux config a try.
johnlc
Posted : Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:46:25 PM
Nut O A B:   I've got tc2007.   Got to get rid of this vista crap.    So in simplistic terms (computer nerd)  there is no problem running tc2007 on  ubuntu, no fancy extras, just download it and go????   TC is  all the same?       Was there any problem retrieving your files and pcf's from the worden server or how did you do that?    Hate to spend 2K on a new laptop and i can't figure how to do this stuff.    Are you able to run discs made on a windows machine and view and or transfer them to ubuntu?    
Thanks for any help:
john
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:11:42 AM

Worden Trainer

johnlc,
To use NotOnABike's method you would need to install Ubuntu as your operation system, install Virtual Box in Ubuntu, install Windows in Virtual Box and then install TeleChart in Windows.

Depending on exactly how you set up Virtual Box, TeleChart would either appear to look like it was running as a window in Ubuntu or Windows would appear to look like it was running as a window in Ubuntu with TeleChart looking like it was running as a window within Windows. In either case, TeleChart would still technically be running in Windows.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jim64546
Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 10:19:22 AM
As much as I would love to see a Mac OSX native Telechart, I'd settle for TC on Linux on my Mac (via Parallels) if I could cut Windows out of it altogether. Does anybody here know how to cut Windows out of this game altogether?Thanks,Jim
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, October 29, 2010 10:30:54 AM

Worden Trainer

jim64546,
You may want to take a look at the TC2000 now runs Perfectly in Linux without Virtualization topic.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jim64546
Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:41:19 AM
QUOTE (Bruce_L)
jim64546,
You may want to take a look at the TC2000 now runs Perfectly in Linux without Virtualization topic.
Thanks Bruce, I'll give it a shot.
Bruce_L
Posted : Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:08:00 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles