Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Tobydad's Rolling Stones Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
mammon
Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 1:04:46 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Tobydad, are you still using your Rolling Stones template?  My scans today gives me A,TBT,CPN,OIL with the Rolling Stone screen I have.  I actually have the Tobydad Profile from your post on 25May07 clipboarded on my desk and refer to it on occassion, although I have not used your system with any regularity lately.....

I have been a bit cautious with it because I am not familiar with all of your modifications to it.  I have been screening stocks with very high ADX readings, when ADX is over a falling -DMI.  When the high ADX  makes a sharp  break downward, some good Tobydad Profile candidates appear.

I would be interested in hearing more about your methods, if your time allows.

For the last year or so, I have printed many of the posts here describing  various scans, systems, etc. and have them in a 3 ring binder.  You take up your share of space.  I remember you commenting in one of your posts that, although you post your system, it seems to get scant attention.

Trust me, that is not the case.

Thank you, 

Mammon
Apsll
Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 2:19:34 PM

I agree with Mammon, we need to hear more from you Tobydad. Now that Technical Analysis has returned to the forum the newbie’s need to see more veteran points of view and solid stock picks. Mammon that goes for you as well. I remember that you presented a lot of good ideas yourself. 

I plan to continue generating threads based on good old fashioned technical analysis and need the help of you guys Tobydad, Mammon, Bcraig, Scottnlena and ail the old timers that have been on this forum for a while.

For you newbie’s we would like you to join in the fun and yes there is a disclaimer that we only give our opinions, they are not meant to be taken as facts. That is what a forum is for. So that all can give their opinions, then you do your own research and form your own opinions.

Apsll.

ben2k9
Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 6:44:37 PM

i expect nothing less than to discover the holy grail of trading from the corridors of this forum.  Let the enlightenment begin!!
BigBlock
Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:20:03 PM

Is it the Rolling Stone Templage OR the Kidney Stone Template?

stocker76
Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 9:52:09 PM

If it is not breaking the rules of this forum, can any of you veterans recommend a good book on Technical Analysis? Thanks.
tobydad
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 9:00:44 AM

I'm sorry Bigblock but I didn't understand your question. What is the Kidney Stone Templage? I searched the archives and couldn't find anything on this.
tobydad
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 9:29:17 AM

Mammon, I like the charts you mentioned. I'd watch out for overhead resistance and volume pull backs on them but, if they clear the last HOD then they might be a good entry. I suspect some profit taking early next week before another leg up in this irrational exuberance rally so just be careful. 

As to my template, I've basically kept it the same other than to say I simply tighten the requirements based on market conditions. As you already know, in a raging bull market, one can practically find a doji resting on the lbb20, buy in and make a profit. As things get less and less bullish and go all the way to being a ravenous bear market, we have to set the bar higher and higher to find acceptable picks. And then, of course, when things get bad enough, we go short. 

Anyway, the basic ways that I adjust the template is, first, with the TSV26 and its BB13's. In bullish conditions, if the tsv26 is under the lbb20 and crosses up through it while a doji-esque candlestick is near the lbb20 and supported by what you all have called Tobydad's Crowbar (the LR30), then a conditional buy order of the EOD HOD is in order.

In less bullish markets, I want the tsv26 crossing its simple ma13 and in even less bullish/moderately bearish conditions I want the tsv26 crossing up over the ubb13. In really bearish conditions, I won't go long unless tsv26 has crossed up over the 0 line with an uptrending bb13. A strong tsv 26 run up from well below the lbb13 and spread over a week or so is nice to see. Then a volume surge, an obv uptick, things like that are nice confirmations. 

Same thing goes for the top part of the template, one must just tighten the restrictions for selections as the markets worsen (from a bullish point of view, that is....we all know that there are no "good" or "bad" markets, we just have to know how to adapt for various conditions). The more bearish the market, the more we must watch for price to have cleared all resistance trendlines, volume surges are important, and candlesticks (I don't know the real names) must be rockets ("fuse" on the bottom) and not bombs ("fuse" on the top). 

Also, the tighter the support from the lbb20 (on price) and the LR30, the better. I look at stock price movement as reflecting the physical world. E.g. If you imagine yourself trying to jump off of a springboard, well it's hard to get much momentum if the board is falling away from you. But if you time your jump correctly, and wait for the board to have reached its maximum downward extension, then you can expect maximum support for your ascent. I look at stock prices the same way. I'm always looking for something from which it can push off for it upward climb. 

I hate to ramble and I've probably already said far more than anyone wanted to read so I'll stop there. But if there are specific questions, I'm happy to respond to the best of my ability. 

Let me just say this, I don't know alot, especially compared to some of the people on this forum. I would have nothing of value to contribute to some of the conversations that go on here. I just know some basics about my own system that works for me with great reliability. And everyday I become more convinced that discipline and patience may be the greatest tools any trader will ever learn.
tobydad
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:13:58 AM

For anyone interested, here's the Rolling Stone PCF: 

C20 < C30 AND C15 < C20 AND C10 < C15 AND C5 < C10 AND L >= L1 * .95 AND L1 >= L2 * .95 AND L2 >= L3 * .95 AND C >= O

Then apply the profile and sort by LR30. 

Now it's off to church with the family.
BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:23:31 PM
QUOTE (tobydad)
I'm sorry Bigblock but I didn't understand your question. What is the Kidney Stone Templage? I searched the archives and couldn't find anything on this.

Look within yourself.
realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 6:36:57 PM
QUOTE (BigBlock)
QUOTE (tobydad)

Look within yourself.

No need for this BB ...

No need at all ...

tobydad
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 7:52:39 PM

QUOTE (BigBlock)
QUOTE (tobydad)

Look within yourself.

OK, thanks. Hadn't thought of that but, couldn't find it there either. I'm just trying to understand your question...or point.
BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 11:51:57 PM
Are the kidney stone rolling yet?
BigBlock
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 12:00:53 AM
By the way, for anyone interested in Python

http://www.python.org/links/

Get it pre-packaged, it will save you some headaches.
funnymony
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 12:20:26 AM

rolling stone template?

didn't even know mick was even trading.
Apsll
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 3:21:31 AM

Mammon I like TBT good signs of accumulation in November and December. Could see a nice run here or at least a bottom.
mammon
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 10:19:55 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Tom:  I just got into TBT.  ADX was very oversold and starting to drop.  (Should trigger the old TRIFECTA today.........
BigBlock
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 12:29:50 PM
QUOTE (Apsll)
Mammon I like TBT good signs of accumulation in November and December. Could see a nice run here or at least a bottom.

Please, please explain to the forum how you actually read the signs of "accumulation".
This is bogus.   Noneone for that matter can read whether a stock is being accumulated or not, and by who based on EOD volume data.
It CANNOT be done using daily volume at the EOD level.

To anyone who by any chance gets a sense of security on those comments - be warned - they are misleading to say the least.