Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Pretty good possibilities if the markets hold up Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:55:33 AM

These look promising if the Dow doesn't drop hard below the current support (7400 is the number I've been using lately):

GVHR
XTXI
GGP
TCK
MEG
ZLC
IFX
ACAS
ARA
CPE
FIG
HSNI
REXX
KFN
LPX
BKD
FED
ENG
TXCO

Of course, don't just buy long willy-nilly. Use your systems, pay attention to the rules that have always guided you. 

Best,
tobydad
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:01:33 PM

2 over 35% up today
4 over 10% up today
3 losers, worst about 13% down.
Average of all 7+% up today. 

I can take the rest of the month off! (but I won't)

Patience, it's a great tool in trading.
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:28:14 PM

From the looks of the charts, some of these are just getting started. Of course, we'll see what Mr. Market says.
tobydad
Posted : Friday, December 12, 2008 6:37:46 PM

Today's action makes me think the rally is real. Is there more downside? Certainly seems likely. But for now, it looks like we're going to get something for the next few months. 

I would keep an eye on this list. More to come.
scottnlena
Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 1:43:40 AM

I started thinking that also.. to many mixed signals for short selling.. not that I'm any good at short selling but I watch allot of stuff go by.

some from my nightly check list and a few from the trifecta scan strategy.

QCOR
LHCG
OSIR
KBW
OCR
UYM
NYX
THOR
HANS
RJET (may be fakeout.)
SQNM
thekubiaks
Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 10:49:44 AM
It is curious that if you look at the absolute train wreck the fundamentals are showing and the fact that the market isn't crashing, it makes you wonder.  Either there are a lot of dollar cost averaging 401K people with their heads in the sand, or ???   The news is awful with more on the way (Big 3 probably going bankrupt, Christmas sales horrendous, corporate real estate failures, dollar on its way back dow, china shutting down huge amounts of factories, more layoffs, ..........  )  I can't do anything except day trade 2X and 3X ETF's.    If the market can go up with all of this bad news, perhaps it will explode to the upside if ever there should be some good news.  I'm ready to pounce.
awshucks
Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:05:57 PM

Not a bad list scottnlena...50/50 red and green on the weeky charts.  One wonders when they'll let SRS up for a breath of air.

scottnlena
Posted : Saturday, December 13, 2008 6:45:01 PM

The crappy news should start to be a signal of a bottom. We have some brokerage guys going to jail, some big companies probably going under as well they should and big issues in the credit and banking industry... 

sounds like everything I've read about typical headlines near a bottom  I"m not certain this is THE bottom but one never knows till we look back.
awshucks
Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:11:19 PM
One can infer by the numbers that this is/was a tradeable shelf, as the narrow daily channel on the futures just failed and did not initially take out the weekly bottom.  She's a slip and gap fade ony until she's not.

The question will be whether the weekly will grab or slip...depending on what one calls a week.

It's only my opinion...but you'd likely gain from 'googling' the headlines from 1927 through 1933 and then refrain from any habit of calling bottoms by 'news' , or 'rate' of news. Colin J Seymours' graph of the Dow from 27-33 with the hillarious quotes attached is quite telling.

awshucks
Posted : Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:14:15 PM
PS - You will note that the overt signal that the super cycle down move was over at that point...was the theft of real money held by the citizenry.   Take a lesson from history.
tobydad
Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 9:16:52 PM

GVHR up 59% as of yesterday; pulled back today
XTXI down 19% but getting ready for a nice ride
GGP about a break even
TCK topped out at 40% profit, has pulled way back
MEG break even but getting ready
ZLC big drop but loading up
IFX 2% loss, still looks promising though
ACAS small loss, looks good soon
ARA 24% so far, looks like more ahead
CPE 20% jump the first day, has pulled back since
FIG drop; not good
HSNI and the big winner, up 246%, I'll take it.
REXX small loss, looks OK soon
KFN loss, wait for later
LPX pull back
BKD 58% so far
FED 34% loss
ENG 11%
TXCO 28% loss

about 15-20% profit in one week. Once a month, we only need this once a month, every month. 

Merry Christmas.
realitycheck
Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 9:27:08 PM
Read a story about GGP a day or so ago ...

It was one of 5 stocks that the author postulated to have an equity value of ZERO ...

It's sort of surprising ... if it is going to make it ... that it didn't get a sizable pop out of the low interest rate news the other day ...

As you would thnk it be a big beneficiary ...

realitycheck
Posted : Monday, December 22, 2008 9:39:12 PM
QUOTE (awshucks)

It's only my opinion...but you'd likely gain from 'googling' the headlines from 1927 through 1933 and then refrain from any habit of calling bottoms by 'news' , or 'rate' of news. Colin J Seymours' graph of the Dow from 27-33 with the hillarious quotes attached is quite telling.

Googling ... "Colin Seymour's 1927-1933 Chart of Pompous Prognosticators" will take you right to it ...

At the bottom of the page there were some footnotes ...

I particularly liked this one ...

[QUOTE= }Banking Act of 1935 ...
"AN ACT To provide for the sound, effective, and uninterrupted operation of the banking system, and for other purposes"[/QUOTE]

Oh well ...

That didn't work ...

Unless the "other puposes" were to line the pockets of bankers with taxpayer money ...

tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:19:52 PM

GVHR was up over 50%, pulled back but may be starting again
XTXI up 50% today, up 30% since first post
GGP down 20%
TCK up 26%
MEG down 1%
ZLC down 20% (but keep watching)
IFX up 40%
ACAS down 1% but looks good soon
ARA up 46%
CPE down 4%
FIG down 32%
HSNI the big BIG winner; up 337%
REXX down 5%
KFN up 66%
LPX down 13%
BKD up 52%
FED down 35%
ENG up 17%
TXCO down 25%

The whole group is up 25%. The returns would actually be a bit better if using stop losses. 

Happy New Year.
mammon
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 12:07:34 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Someone  in another post asked if perhaps Tobydads picks were not getting a little boost from the small rally we're having.

I took this list of Tobydad's from the 12/10, and for some reason did not make a watchlist of it untill 12/24.  Since 12/24 this list has:

MEG      +105%
FIG        +100%
XTXI      +73%
ACAS   +70%
TCK     +65%

FED     +52%
GVHR  +39%
ENG     +35%
TXCO   +35%
HSNI    +26%

LPX       +26%
CPE      +23%
GGP      +22%
BKD      +6%
ARE      + 5%

100% wins, no losers

This was taken from the "Watchlist Tracking" function of Telechart.

You will note that this was well AFTER the big run up in price prior to the 24th.

% was in whole numbers.

Rather or not you use the methodology of TOBYDAD, ya gotta admit, he's a hell of a stock picker!

If you only got the lowest return here (5%) in that timeframe, consistantly, you would only be able to double your holdings in a year!

Mammon
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:08:48 PM

Congradualations on some awsome picks Tobydad. Are you sure that you are not using a crystal ball? 
djdhrubs
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:28:16 PM
tobydad...what a star!  how about some picks for tomorrow...DXD, SKF, FAZ, SRS, FXP, EEV?!!!  or some alternatives....FAS, UYG, IYR!!!  one of those lists is gonna make some money!  any bets which way?

in all seriousness, the volume the last couple of days has been pretty bad.  my bets are on the market coming down.  seems too soon for an obama inauguration rally, doesn't it?
djdhrubs
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:44:54 PM
however on its own merits (if it breaks above 8 with convincing volume) MRVL may be an interesting pick, if the markets don't go down of course.  decent recent accumulation (don't you think?) with down days on poor volume last week, and comparatively large volume on recent up days.
tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:04:42 PM

This list just keeps on flying; total portfolio up another 17% today. I didn't vote for our new president but I'm thrilled that everyone is so excited about him (or whatever is going on).
BigBlock
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:12:38 PM
QUOTE (djdhrubs)
tobydad...what a star!  how about some picks for tomorrow...DXD, SKF, FAZ, SRS, FXP, EEV?!!!  or some alternatives....FAS, UYG, IYR!!!  one of those lists is gonna make some money!  any bets which way?

in all seriousness, the volume the last couple of days has been pretty bad.  my bets are on the market coming down.  seems too soon for an obama inauguration rally, doesn't it?

You seem to be absolutely right.  You may want to check my commets here and add to them if you like.
http://www.worden.com/training/default.aspx?g=posts&t=37012

As a fact you can find hand fulls of good shorts outthere daily, but on top of that I take this as a great opportunity to reposition on some great ones that will flip the coin very soon. 
tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:42:34 PM

I think it is likely that the market will turn down shortly. I'm not sure we're ready for the next big leg down or if we're just seeing some profit taking. 

Either way, I think it may be time to be looking at some shorts. 

It's likely a poor time to be trying to enter the list above long. 

Bigblock; I don't fully understand your last comment above. When you say, "...great opportunity to reposition on some great ones that will flip the coin very soon." Are you saying shorts will be better choices soon or longs? 

thanks

tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:44:58 PM

Kidney stones up and away!