Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

NUAN loading up for next move up Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tobydad
Posted : Monday, March 31, 2008 10:01:49 PM

Short term stochastics up, money stream up, sitting on support trend line, overall up trend.  

Good luck.
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, March 31, 2008 11:27:11 PM

you looking for a 1-2-3-pop here or something more??
tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:04:21 AM

Scott,
It has the right stuff for a big move:

That said, it could just plug along for a while.  Barring a really bad day tomorrow, and assuming it clears today's high, I think one could get a few % out of it tomorrow (but I'm really not a day trader like that). 

But this is a good example of what I have suggested repeatedly here; and that is to take part in the regular moves of a stable of stocks that are building upward pressure.  When one does this, it doesn't become so crucial to figure out how to be in on the big moves.  If we're there for all the little moves, we'll probably be there early on for the "big one".  

This is why I've learned that my exits are just as important as my entries.  I've picked good entries for many years, but in the early days, I got out too soon.  I suggest not worrying about whether this is the "big one" or not (and I'm not saying you were, Scott, but just to make the point for all reading), just take what it gives you this time around.  If this is the big one, hallelujah!  

This is how I've averaged 7% per month; little 3%, 5%, 7 and 8% moves in a few short days.  If I get stopped out, I just follow it down to the next support level.  Sooner or later I'm going to find the take off point.  

Sorry for the busy chart up there and for the rambling post.  

All the best
scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2008 12:43:24 AM

"If we're there for all the little moves, we'll probably be there early on for the "big one". "

this is actualy really sensible.  I tend to try and focus on bread and butter trades my self as I think the big moves will eventualy hapen... but seeing them all around is a read distraction.

I'm thinking of adopting a single patten to center my trading off of to take a small monthly target.  I've had a had time consistantly doing this in the past.  I over shoot it one month and then bo backwards a few months later.  It can get a bit "messy" in terms of signal quantity and i'm still observing it which I'll do through 2 more market swings then papertrade a few swings.  so far it looks promising.  Plenty of oportunity flow and it seems to dry up when I shouldn't be trading.  Based on the last swing cycle the scan produced enough quality picks that a hand full of them which I decided to observe have surpased my monthly target in 4 four days by 4 times over.  Signal can come in scary places.  Still getting used to that.  squiglylines seem not to matter either. Initialy it picks up quick 2-4 day pops... but some continue on and make nice larger swing holds.  One went on a gapping spree and a previous pick before my discovery of this .. had a buy signal the day before a 13 point non gap candle.

7% a month on average huh ? ?  Mind if I ask your average hold time, normal trade volume monthly ?
are allot of those the cooper 1-2-3-4 pattern or your just aware of the pattern with out necessarily looking for patterns?  I guess I should clarify the question are you a pattern trader or do specific patterns matter much to you?

I like the visual look of the scale on your NUAN chart.  Mine is a bit more spread out and so the colsolidation dosen't look so ..... clean.  but there is a low diceman reading on my favorite ma's !

tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, April 1, 2008 11:31:19 PM

Well, I hope some took advantage of this one.  Here's a reminder of another way to play this one (we've discussed before so I'll be brief);

Stochastics set to 2,2,3 (223 stocs) with a 20-day linear regression.  Look for price coming down and resting on some clear and definitive support, signs of general health (whatever you use for that and no really ugly charts...this isn't magic after all), Stocs 223 LR20 pointing to mid-point or higher.  Buy at the open (please use common sense here) and keep a tight stop loss.  

In most cases, I've been able to snag a few percent in a day this way.  (Only a few percent? you say?  Do that a few times a month and that portion of your portfolio is growing at 5-10% / month...not half bad).