Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Another visual confirmation method Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:51:16 AM

These suggestions are not to replace any techniques.  This is just a quick visual confirmation system that you can develop with very little practice.  It can be used on any time frame.  In a relatively short period of time you'll find yourself not having to physically draw the lines.

You can also see a nice W pattern there Nov - Dec. 

Of course, always keep all the other rudimentary technical analysis in place; be sure you're looking at healthy sectors, keep fundamentals in mind, etc.  

The process is, essentially, nothing more than spotting new trends being repeatedly broken to the upside.  This is always a good indicator of a stock building steam for a nice move.  

I believe the pic below will tell it all.  

Happy hunting!

realitycheck
Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:37:54 AM
Great post tobydad ...

diceman
Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:20:37 AM
Have not seen the "quad MACD" in a while.

Thanks
diceman
klynn55
Posted : Thursday, March 13, 2008 1:06:10 PM
tobydad: could you give me a quick lesson on the quad MACD, yellow seems to be the key!

lynn
tobydad
Posted : Sunday, March 16, 2008 11:46:29 PM

There's really not much magic here, and I don't use these as a primary indicator.  We're simply looking at two indicators (one fast and one not-so-fast) that move above zero during accumulation and price increase and two that move above zero during distribution and price drop.  Of course, the opposites are true as well.  The color choices simply remind me of cool and cold colors and warm and hot colors respectively.  

So a burst of yellow is a good indication of a possibly price move up.  If that "warm" yellow is joined, or better yet, overtaken by the "hot" red, while the cool and cold colors move downward to confirm, then we know there is a good chance of a move in a favorable direction.  

Again, not much magic, setting it up on one of your tabs and back-scrolling through a bunch of your favorite stocks should give you the practice you need.  (And will explain better than I am able.)