Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Williams % R PCF? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 6:36:53 PM

Just curious if I could get a PCF for Williams %R ....  I see it availabel in blocks .. but I dno't open Blocks every night.

Also Accumulation and Distrubution... Is that also a Williams indicator?
Julia_O
Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 7:22:57 PM

Worden Trainer

scottnlena,

Review the following for the Williams %R pcf:
WILLIAMS % r

You'll find a discussion of and formula for Williams A/D here:
To create a scan to find high TSV 18 and high William's A/D indicator

Best,

Julia
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 7:30:51 PM

Thanks
Julia_O
Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 7:33:24 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome!
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 7:38:35 PM

I'm back.

I've had some confusion with bustermu's remarks on other posts so I just want to confirm that :
V*((C<C1)*(H+C1-2*C+ABS(H-C1))/2+(C>C1)*(L+C1-2*C-ABS(L-C1))/2)

is the finished complete PCF for Acumulation and distribution?
Julia_O
Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 8:00:42 PM

Worden Trainer

As I understand it, that's correct.
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, October 29, 2007 11:35:08 PM

goody
bustermu
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:37:34 AM

QUOTE (scottnlena)
I've had some confusion with bustermu's remarks on other posts so I just want to confirm that :

is the finished complete PCF for Acumulation and distribution?

The PCF is not  "the finished complete PCF for Accumulation and Distribution".  It is "the finished complete PCF for the change in value of the Williams Accumulation Distribution Indicator".  The PCF is to be used as the Value To Add/Subtract for a Custom Cumulative Indicator in order to plot the Williams Accumulation Distribution Indicator.

I regret that you have had some confusion with my remarks on other posts.  When that happens, please ask and I will try to clarify.

Thanks,
Jim Murphy 

Julia_O
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:36:59 AM

Worden Trainer

Good catch, bustermu. 

scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:44:11 PM

Ok so can someone direct me to the PCF for the complete formula as it's suposed to be used?
scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:53:55 PM

bustermu.

V*((C<C1)*(H+C1-2*C+ABS(H-C1))/2+(C>C1)*(L+C1-2*C-ABS(L-C1))/2) is the corect indicator with 
up condition

C>C-1
and down condition

C>C+1 ? ? ? 

that was the root of my confusion .. 1st my fault I forgot about the cumulative idicator function and was trying to use the above as a custom indicator, non cumulative and 2 there wre two versions of the the indicator.. Bruce's and Your' correction.  Bruce never responded so I wasn't shure which one was the correct one.

scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:56:53 PM

Darnit got distracted and posted to soon.
Bustermu.. what are your thoughts abuot the settings for this indicator?  Exponential, simple, smoothing?  I generaly have a hold time of 3 days to two weeks.  But I'm trying to force my self to hold longer.  So I'd say i'm a momentum swing trader with an eye twards the intermediate .
bustermu
Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 5:12:59 AM

Scott,

QUOTE (scottnlena)
Bustermu.. what are your thoughts about the settings for this indicator?  Exponential, simple, smoothing?  I generally have a hold time of 3 days to two weeks.  But I'm trying to force my self to hold longer.  So I'd say i'm a momentum swing trader with an eye twards the intermediate.

There are no settings for the Indicator.  It is a Cumulative Indicator.  It is ideally displayed as is for purposes of divergences.  For divergences, it is interpreted exactly as Cumulative MS, Cumulative OBV, and  Cumulative TSV are.

You will notice that Williams Accumulation Distribution and Cumulative MS are quite similar.  A minor modification of  Williams Accumulation Distribution will make them much more alike.  

QUOTE (scottnlena)
2)There were two versions of the the indicator.  Bruce's and Your correction.  Bruce never responded so I wasn't shure which one was the correct one.

They are both correct.  The one given by Bruce is sometimes called the Williams Accumulate Distribute Indicator and does not involve volume.  The one I gave is the Williams Accumulation Distribution Indicator and does involve volume.  The former in due to a typographical error by Steven Achelis and the latter is due to Larry Williams.

Thanks,
Jim Murphy

scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:45:18 PM

"You will notice that Williams Accumulation Distribution and Cumulative MS are quite similar.  A minor modification of  Williams Accumulation Distribution will make them much more alike."

WHat sort of modification?   Is it somethign that I can modify in Blocks or I would need to create the code block? (which I suck at)

I'm curious to see Blocks report on my basic strategy ... which is heavily based on Moneystream and TSV... but not knowing a good MS proxy  and not having moneystream available in Blocks i've just gone through a selection of a few hundred charts and counted when the various moves were made.  Just to get a sense of how it woud perform.. seemed to do fairly well at times.. The system is not with out it it's draw down periods... but that's also me fumbling perfectly good trades.
bustermu
Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:06:59 AM
QUOTE (scottnlena)
"You will notice that Williams Accumulation Distribution and Cumulative MS are quite similar.  A minor modification of  Williams Accumulation Distribution will make them much more alike."

What sort of modification?   Is it something that I can modify in Blocks or I would need to create the code block? (which I suck at)

Scott,

I am not familiar with Blocks, so I will have to give you the modification in TeleChart.

The switching in Williams Accumulation Distribution is done by comparing Closing Price today to Closing Price yesterday.  The switching in Money Flow Index is done by comparing Typical Price today to Typical Price yesterday where Typical Price is given by:

(H+L+C)/3

It has been suggested that Williams Accumulation Distribution be modified so that Typical Price does the switching.

The increment for the original Williams Accumulation Distribution is:

The increment for the modified Williams Accumulation Distribution is:

V*((H+L+C<H1+L1+C1)*(H+C1-2*C+ABS(H-C1))/2+(H+L+C>H1+L1+C1)*(L+C1-2*C-ABS(L-C1))/2)

Please plot the Custom Cumulative Indicator:

Up Condition:
ABS(V)>=0
Down Condition:
ABS(V)<0
Value To Add/Subtract:
V*((H+L+C<H1+L1+C1)*(H+C1-2*C+ABS(H-C1))/2+(H+L+C>H1+L1+C1)*(L+C1-2*C-ABS(L-C1))/2)

Compare this indicator to Cumulative MoneyStream.

Thanks,
Jim Murphy