Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

hohandy is this a good candidate for you theory? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
scottnlena
Posted : Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:41:19 PM

I am working mor on my own things but paying attention to the MacDH new high thing.

I came across FAF today in my TSV,MS scan... looking at it I notieced the recent high in MacdH
hohandy
Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:57:31 PM
I don't see at all what you're talking about Scott. What are your MACD-H settings, and what date are you talking about?

On my screen, MACD is 12,26,9. I show the last MACD-H high was March 7-12 - 3-4 in a row corresponding to new multi-month price highs. After a slight pullback, the March 12 price high was exceeded March 21-22 (and then again April 9), but the MACD-H was much lower than. It dipped below 0 and has been there until this past Friday.

I'd say it's maybe looking ready to rally (TSV and MS are looking good), but isn't a good candidate for the theory as the last multi-month price high wasn't accompanied by a multi-month MACD-H. You have to have the 2 together in order to be a candidate.
hohandy
Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:20:41 PM
These are some current candidates:

EMR
BLC
MCHP
ELNK
CY
ATML
scottnlena
Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:29:19 PM

I must not understand the setup at allthen.. I saw macdh high and a correction.. then a set up for a buy .. what I thought I understood was the next run will probably exceed march's high. Looking at EMR it's clear that i'M not completely following this ideology. BLC looks a bit more close to what I expected to see.
hohandy
Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2007 9:30:56 PM
Not sure what you don't understand Scott.

Elder says that if a multi-month price high is accompanied by a multi-month MACD-H high, then the price high should be either retested or exceeded because the current trend is so strong that even if there's a pullback it should still get back to that level.

He doesn't say *when* the price will be retested, whether a couple of days or weeks later, but we are assuming that it is during the current trend (6 months ago wouldn't count) - and once the price IS retested, the condition is fulfilled and no longer valid (as is the case in FAF - the multi-month high/MACD-H occurred March 7-12, that high price was retested 2 weeks later, so I would consider it "done" - successfully, too). Nothing in Elder says that the retest *has to* follow a pullback so we have to be careful not to read too much into the very simple scenario that he posits.

Look at EMR - new price/MACD-H high 4/27. Thoeretically, that price was retested/exceeded the next day as it opened at a higher price and then dropped - but for purposes of this theory I'm kind of hoping that it really means a retest further down the line and not necessarily the price level at the next open. Since then, the price level of 4/27 hasn't been retested or exceeded - and now that EMR is at the decision point, the theory says that if the price level of 4/27 is to be retested, that from the decision point, the price will go UP. What about the EMR chart makes you think that you're not following?
tbartel
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 10:59:32 AM
Here is a good one.....VION
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 11:08:47 AM

Ooooo. I like vion. I'm trying to get away from trading these cheap stocks so much anymore. But this deserves watching!
hohandy
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 11:30:17 AM
Yes - that one fits the theory - the multi-month high price on 4/23 was matched by a multi-month high MACD-H (the fact that MACD-H then went a little higher shouldn't change the scenario - at the time of the price high, the MACD-H hit a high). It'll be interesting to see if it does come back to retest the high considering how deep the negative MACD-H then got.

I like to see Scott get excited
tbartel
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 3:56:11 PM
alittle higher price and still fits the theory......TASR
hohandy
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 4:01:51 PM
Yep - TASR is on my MACD100 watchlist - gotta be getting close to the decision point soon too if not there today (I don't have TC2007 access at work) ...
Apsll
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 4:06:01 PM

Cowgirl, good find. You are developing a keen sense for the market.

TASR was at its decision point on friday. Dicemans indicator is turning up today. This stock looks ready to buy..

hohandy
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 4:08:51 PM
It's a nice looking chart - and 10+% back up to the high - sweet...
hohandy
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 4:10:34 PM
Another HNC/Diceman/MACDH that is turning that has a nice chart is IDC
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, May 21, 2007 6:01:43 PM

What about DRY? This came up on my TSV/MS scan.

di you guys see the results of that signal tested over 200 signals? I posted them in The poast about simple aproaches.
hohandy
Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:56:21 AM
DRY isn't a candidate for the MACD-H Scott. It started reaching new price/MACD-H highs during the week of Apr 2-5, which predicted that the high would be retested, but the retest has already occurred on 4/16 and 4/18. It's an awesome looking chart - dayum! - and I think it's going to rally again and seriously go places, but it doesn't fit the MACD-H criteria for the theory. It's weird that you seem to have a little bit of a blind spot for this. But it's still a great catch. I'm a big fan of horizontal consolidations after big up moves, and DRY's weekly chart is totally attractive to me. WOOF! Hawt. And at the decision point too...

I did check out your TSV/MS scan - but just like you're having a hard time understanding the MACD-H setup I was having a difficult time grasping the TSV/MS scan (but if it's coming up with choice meat like DRY it's definitely worth checking out some more)

How's about showing how exactly the TSV/MS scan picked up DRY and walk me through it?
scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:46:49 AM

It probably dosent help that I don't have the book any more. Also it looks like the MacdH theory is realy short term. In general I try to take advantage of larger swings now.

Reguarding the MS TSV scan this is the third day in a row that it has produced several nice charts. number varies between 20 and 80. Friday my final cut list list included:

NDAQ, PTN CYCC LWSN NITE GET FAF MEG LIOX USO ASIA (caried fwd from the day before)SCLA XRTX FLO CLSM MWRK DTV STT CUK CCL

I only entered a few orders because I was concerned about overall market timing, but most would have ended the day in proffit. ASIA's order got kicked back NITE triggered.
scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:56:46 AM

For some reason FLO didn't get filled.. may have zipped past my BSLO.

I did a study of the signals using excel, up through 200 instances with a percent true indicator. I poasted the results on "simple aproach". I'm considering asking Tech suport if They will attach the excel file to the thread for those who were interested. But based roughly on my trading style it generted phenominal numbers in terms of moves that followed the signal and reliability.
tbartel
Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:32:39 AM
Here is another one.....NFLD.working nicely this AM
tbartel
Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:49:50 AM
VION is working today
hohandy
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:16:28 AM
WHOA! What's going on with VION???
scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:52:07 AM

Nicely spotted cowgirl. you seem to have gotten a knack for the lower priced stocks? I showed my wife yiour secess with AVNR and nearly got blugeoned to death ..... for not being in there also.