Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

ASML (Sir Scoop) Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Apsll
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 11:08:23 AM

I have adjusted the price per share filter to include stocks $25 - $60 but the indicators for his set up are all in line..The fundimentals are fair and most web sites rate this a strong buy... So I bought at $27.30..

When I look at this with the HNC set up the Moving averages are starting to contract. I am new to the Sir scoop method so use caution....

(IMO)

Apsll..

fpetry
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 12:20:05 PM
apsll, lots to like about ASML imo. Fundamentals/overall more than fair per IBD...it's the number one stock in an A rated group of 60 stocks. Earnings are the highest possible at a 99 rating, etc. Technicals nice too, good institutional support and accumulation. I like the way it broke out of its 4 mo. base two weeks ago on decisive price action and high volume. Main caution I see is that not much rest since early March (along with a lot of other stocks and market) and a needed market pullback seems nearby.
Apsll
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 12:42:42 PM

I agree on all, Sir scoop says to only stay in the stock for five days or a $1.00 gain, wich-ever comes first. I bought 700 shares.

Thanks for the IBD info, that helps to re-enforce my confidence in this pick. I do not put much (stock) in the market scare, the indicators that I use will give me proper warning, and right now they all look healthy...

Thanks for your input Fpetry it is always apprieciated and usefull...

Apsll...
mammon
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 12:47:08 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Apsll: I also have taken in interest in Swoop and Scoop, however, I am in a bit of a quandry. You seem to be the one to turn to (again!) for this problem. I understand that the scan will produce quality stocks (MS,EPS,PRICE,Et.Al.) However, he uses weekly timeframes. I should smile that the volume, as well as the candle would be smaller,weekly, on a MONDAY!. At what point does he go to daily? Do you use last weeks data for todays buy? What are your observations on his method. All imput is appreciated, as always.

By the way, I had a template called "Apsll's Trifecta" that I thought was pretty good.

Mammon
fpetry
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 12:48:28 PM
QUOTE (apsll)
. I do not put much (stock) in the market scare, the indicators that I use will give me proper warning, and right now they all look healthy...

Amen, trade what you see not what you think:)
Apsll
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 1:24:27 PM

Mammon, a weekly candle represents the last five trading days (regardless of what the current day is) so Friday night was the last or current info at the time of my analysis. Even if Monday's information was included in the candle then the candle would represent (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday)...

I whent to the daily (this morning) to look for a good entry and found it at $27.30 His criteria (IMO) seems to be looking for temporary weakness in an uptrending or momentum type stock. Similar to the HNC approach but of corse not the same indicators or pma's.

I have to ask - what are the indicators and settings for your Apsll Template?
bcraig73450
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 1:30:00 PM
mammon

As I read Sir Scoop, he uses weekly prices to select candidates and daily for his finak=l decision to buy.
mammon
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 1:44:41 PM

bcraig73450 and Apsll: I thank you for your imput. Apsll, you may not remember, but in the dim past, you remarked that your successes seemed to be when the price crossed its 50MA, MS crossed its 22MA and TVS 26 crossed its "O" line. There was a MACD 9-23-6 in there somewhere, as well as a Linear Regression Line. These could have been some of my doing. A %True was added as a scan by someone (Proberly NOT my doing). I found it usefull but have erased it. If you no longer use it, I don't.

Thank you for your imput

Mammon
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 4:30:37 PM

If somethign works for you why ditch it.. market conditionsm ay change and favor that aproach again?

But then I'm a pack rat and keep everything.
Apsll
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 5:04:47 PM

Mammon, I was doing research a while ago on successfull momentum stocks and what criteria they all had in common when climbing out from their base or bottom patterns.

Price crossing over the 50 pma
MS crossing the 22 sma
TSV 26 crossing the zero line

When all three of these things happened simultaneously then it was usally folowed by some positive price action and the stocks entry into phase two or the second cycle of a stocks price pattern (the run-up). I still use this criteria when looking for long term chart patterns or to gauge what cycle a chart pattern is in..

Let me know if you want to discuss the Swoop & Scoop further (it is always nice to have someone else that is learning the same material to bounce ideas off)

Good Luck.

Apsll...
mammon
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 6:57:57 PM

Will do, Apsll. Always better to not work alone on these things. Will post as things develope. Still feeling my way thru this thing. Must confess, however,like Scottnlena, I kept your template on my laptop,packrat that I am. However, one can get overloaded on different strategies. I somewhat veered towards the Murphy K39, as of late, but sometimes you may miss a large part of the move. With the Swoop and Scoop, it seems that one may see a lot of the MACD divergencies with this. But I only have a day or so of looking at it. Another initial impression, there seems to be a lot of moves of 10% +/- his system does not pick up. Even if this is true, if his system has a low percentage of false positives, and a high percentage of positives, it will be very worthwhile. It doesn't need to pickup everything, if what it does discover is good. I wonder about the limit of a Dollar...? If his downside is two dollars, it would seem that his risk/reward is backwards. In LeFevre's book "Reminisences of a Stock Operator" about Jessie Livermore, he told of Pat Keene, who added to hs position each point up(1%) and sold everything at 1% drop. This somewhat remindes me of that philosophy.

What I was thinking of on that weekly thing, I'll never know.

Good Trading

Mammon
diceman
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 8:09:36 PM
mammon

Did you see the scan I created for the K39 ?

Thanks
diceman
mammon
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 8:44:36 PM

Diceman:

See it? Oh,My Yes! Another of your creations living a full and usefull life.

Thank you!

Mammon
diceman
Posted : Monday, April 30, 2007 9:13:29 PM
Glad you caught it.

(we cant tell if someone goes back to
the post)

Thanks
diceman
jcfla7
Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2007 12:37:11 AM
Dice, could you post the link again for this indicator?

Thanks.
diceman
Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2007 1:05:44 AM
STOC39>50 and OBV above its 30 day average.

A PCF for a true condition:

(OBV>AVG(OBV,30))AND(STOC39.1>50)

-----------------------------------------------------------

A PCF for stocks that were not true yesterday
and turned true today:

(ABS(OBV>AVG(OBV,30))+ABS(STOC39.1>50)=2)AND(ABS(OBV.1>AVG(OBV.1,30))+ABS(STOC39.1.1>50)<2)

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is set-up with OBV AVG=30.

Theses can either be put in percent true indicators or
used for sorts and scans.

Thanks
diceman
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2010 10:13:16 PM

QUOTE (Apsll)
Mammon, I was doing research a while ago on successfull momentum stocks and what criteria they all had in common when climbing out from their base or bottom patterns.

Price crossing over the 50 pma
MS crossing the 22 sma
TSV 26 crossing the zero line

When all three of these things happened simultaneously then it was usally folowed by some positive price action and the stocks entry into phase two or the second cycle of a stocks price pattern (the run-up). I still use this criteria when looking for long term chart patterns or to gauge what cycle a chart pattern is in..

Let me know if you want to discuss the Swoop & Scoop further (it is always nice to have someone else that is learning the same material to bounce ideas off)

Good Luck.

Apsll...

Found it