Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

scan for stocks hitting new high for the day Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jshee921
Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2012 8:59:56 PM
Hi I am a daytrader. using tc 2000 platinum, trading 5 to15 min bars

1.I would like to come up with scan that scan stocks making new high for the day ( not the all time 6mth or 1yr high). Just for that particular day only .This is a tool found in many daytrading platforms like speedtrader.This will help me scan intraday break outs.

2. also a scan to scan breakout intraday after 10 bars ( be it 5min or 15min). This will help me scan stocks breakout after 10 bars of consolidation.

kindly help
tks
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:05:44 AM

Worden Trainer

While we can write a formula for price being above its range for the previous ten bars:

C > MAXH10.1

Or outside its range for the previous ten bars:

C < MINL10.1 OR MAXH10.1 < C

Neither would verify that the symbol was in consolidation for those ten bars. We would need your particular unambiguous objective definition of consolidation to be able to check for that. Does the range need to be within a certain dollar value or percentage? Something else?

It is not possible to create a formula for stocks making a new high for the day, because there isn't syntax for determining first bar of the day or the time of day of the current bar of the day in the Personal Criteria Formula Language.

About the closest you could get would be to check if the current price is the high of the day. You would need to do so by creating your formula in a Daily Time Frame:

C = H

PCF Formula Descriptions
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
BrandonMacC
Posted : Friday, May 25, 2018 8:21:58 PM

Hello, 

I'm  looking for a scan that would allow me to find stocks that are passing/ breaking out of their previous high of day price. If possible adding an increase in volume following the break of the high

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, May 29, 2018 9:58:19 AM

Worden Trainer

It is not possible to create a formula for stocks making a new high for the day, because there isn't syntax for determining first bar of the day or the time of day of the current bar of the day in the Personal Criteria Formula Language.

About the closest you could get would be to check if the current price is the high of the day. You would need to do so by creating your formula in a Daily Time Frame:

C = H

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles