Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PCF Formula books Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
fcdf
Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:26:06 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I can't find some books on how to write PCF codes on the net, anybody know of a few good books. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 11:42:19 AM

Worden Trainer

You may want to check out the following.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 4:46:32 PM

Hey Bruce, maybe self-publishing a PCF book would be a good idea ... potential Amazon & NY Times bestsellers! 

You can buy another yacht w/ the royalties. :)

irenesboy
Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:22:29 PM

is there any place to get help for the amazon fire hd 10 with tc2000.

1st question how to change symbol on the charts

Thanks for any help.

irenesboy

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2019 7:49:57 PM

ib,

I would start by posting a new thread with a description title unique to your question instead of burying it here where fewer people are likely to find it. Just a thought.

That said ... I have no clue. I'm a laptop guy, not a tablet user.

Good luck! Maybe Bruce will see this tomorrow morning when he's back in the office and offer a suggestion.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 10:14:15 AM

Worden Trainer

We take a Kindle Fire with us to the training classes and I have it installed on my personal Kindle Fire HD 10. We don't really have any Kindle Fire specific advice help available however. You can contact technical support if you are having technical issues.

If I were going to give any advice, I would say I prefer running it in the Android client than in the browser.

I am going to assume you have it installed since your 1st question is how to change symbols on the charts. The easiest way that seems to work no matter what your setup would be to have a WatchList in your layout and just click on the symbols in the WatchList on the screen.

A much better option if you are going to be running it on the Kindle Fire a lot would be to get a keyboard. I have a Bluetooth keyboard that works pretty well. It even attaches magnetically to a case with a stand which holds the Kindle. This allows me to use it like a really small laptop.

I think you could get a mouse for it as well, but I find clicking on the screen simple enough that I haven't looked into it.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
fcdf
Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2019 6:03:46 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Bruce, If you don't mind my asking, where did you learn how to code PCF's.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:35:22 AM

Worden Trainer

When I first started working here 18 years ago we weren't allowed to help customers with PCFs, but I was curious about them anyway, so I taught myself. Then when they added a customer training department, I had a significant head start since I was already using the Personal Criteria Formula Language for my own use.

The language is really very simple compared to full programming languages since it is focused entirely on formulas.

That can be a plus and a minus. It is incredibly simple to implement anything with built in syntax, but you need to manually construct anything that isn't without using any sort of user defined variables or looping structures. A lot of indicators can be implemented without these things just by nesting a few functions however.

My background is in physics, mathematics, and computer science (and I assume that all helps to some extent). Of those, the most useful in writing formulas is surprisingly the mathematics and not the computer science. And for the most part, the math involved is just fairly basic algebra and that is mostly to just simplify the formulas a bit. I might occasssionally rely on a bit of statistics, geometry, trigonometry, or even calculus to help with a specific request, but it is fairly rare.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
bcochrane
Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2019 9:58:41 AM

Don't overlook this forum as a source of learning. There are many posts where people have tried for, or asked for, PCFs. Many are doable, some aren't. If you have an idea even of what indicator you are interested, perhaps do a Search on it, and see what you get back.