Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Constance Brown composite index Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
King247
Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 11:22:21 AM

Bruce, I've read search results of previous Forum posts on this topic. I'm not sure whether the Derivative Oscillator included in TC2000 is similar or perhaps the same.

Is it? Or is it with minor adjustments?

If not, then one of the results (Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:56:27 PM) stated the Constance Brown oscillator as follows:

1. Derivative Oscillator - Is a triple smoothed wilders RSI, below are the following steps:
Step 1 - An 5 day exponential moving average of a 14 period RSI.
Step 2 - Result in step 1 is used to produce a new 3 day exponential moving average.
Step 3 - A 9 day simple moving average is obtained from result in step 2.
Step 4 - The difference between the results obtained in steps 2 and 3 is calculated and charted as a histogram (I understand histogram may not be possible as a custom indicator, therefore, a line chart will do).

Regarding the Volatility Bands, in that post you attached a .pane file. You also gave a formula for producing the Oscillator based on the above. I'm not sure whether some of your directions still apply to version 18. Do they?

If it helps to reproduce the actual formula that I could add as a plot below the price chart:

From Constance Brown's publicly published paper (2015):

"The Composite Index formula (TradeStation format) is as follows:

Plot1(RSIMO9+RSI3,"Plot1");

Plot2(average((plot1),13),"Plot2");

Plot3(average((plot1),33),"Plot3");

The function RSIMO9 is written; RSIMO9 = MOMENTUM(RSI(CLOSE,14),9)

The second function is written RSI3=AVERAGE(RSI(CLOSE,3),3)

Explanation: "Momentum is a simple comparison. The embedded 9-period Momentum in the Composite Index is the comparison between the most recent 14-period RSI value to the RSI value from 9 periods earlier. By embedding Momentum into the RSI formula it allows the RSI to have a free range travel and is not limited to the normalized range of zero to 100."

I could TC Mail you the PDF if you like.

If the DO in TC2000 does the trick, great. If not, and you can reproduce the formula, also great. If neither, then thank you and happy holidays!

bcochrane
Posted : Saturday, December 22, 2018 6:47:24 PM

XAVG(XAVG(WRSIr.z, a), b) - AVG(XAVG(XAVG(WRSIr.z, a), b), c)

XAVG(XAVG(WRSI14, 5), 3) - AVG(XAVG(XAVG(WRSI14, 5), 3), 9)

where

r = 14, a = 5. b = 3, c = 9 and we ignore z in this case (it would be used for z days ago)

I think you are correct identifying Derivative Oscillator as what you are looking for

King247
Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2018 11:51:47 AM

Thank you!