Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

% from Moving Average Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
patrick_m_c
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 8:00:15 PM

Hello, 

Is there a way to add a condition in the watch list which will show you have far percent wise a stock is away from it's moving average?

For instance, lets say I want to see how far, percent wise, the SPY is below it's 50d moving average.

Thank you.

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 9:12:19 PM

Administration

C / AVGV50 will return a ratio.  .8 means that the SPY is 20% below it's 50 bar average.  1.15 means that SPY is 15% above it's moving average.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 8:33:41 AM

Worden Trainer

A very similar formula returning the actual percentage the stock is above (positive values) or below (negative values) would b ethe following.

100 * (C / AVGC50 - 1)

If you don't care if it is above or below the average, you can use the absolute value function.

100 * ABS(C / AVGC50 - 1)

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
patrick_m_c
Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:51:26 AM

Hi Bruce,

I'm having a little trouble with your formula.

You said to use: 100 * (C /AVG50 - 1)  or 100 * ABS (C / ACGC0 - 1)

Neither were able to produce my desired result. I'm not sure if the second formula was a typo as there's no 50 in the equation.

My main goal is to try and track how far away a stock is trading from its volatility stop (% wise) on the weekly timeframe. I've asked for a way to do this in the past and was told thatthere was no direct way to do it.

Therefore, I came up with the idea that if I plot a 1 period simple moving average to the vlty stop, I could have a formula to track the moving average.

I think the problem is that the 1 period might not be long enough because 1 - 1 = 0.  100 * (C/AVG1 -1).

Any ideas?

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:52:19 AM

Worden Trainer

Yes, it was a typo, AVGC0 should have been AVGC50 in the formula and has been corrected above.

That said, the moving average in the formula is a moving average of price. It isn't a moving average of the volatiilty stop.

I do I certainly can't think of any way to calculate the percentage that price is away from the Volatility Stop in TC2000.

What you can do is check for price being within a certain percentage of the volatility stop as a condition. Add a 1 period envelope channel to the volatility stop indicator with the Width (%) setting set to the desired percentage.

Then you can click on the volatility stop indicator and select Create Condition. You are going to create a Channel position range Envelope Channel condition in the Price History vs Envelope Channel section of the condition drop-down menu in the Create Condition window. You will probably want to set the rangefinder to -100 to +100, but it is up to you.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
patrick_m_c
Posted : Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:54:47 PM

How could you adjust these:

100 * (C / AVGC50 - 1) or 100 * ABS(C / AVGC50 - 1)

to show for the 10 period simple moving average on a weekly chart timefram? 

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:37:11 AM

Worden Trainer

The first formula would become:

100 * (C / AVGC10 - 1)

And the second formula would become:

100 * ABS(C / AVGC10 - 1)

You would set the default time frame of the indicator when you are creating or editing it. You can also set the time frame to something besides the defailt within your layout by editing it there (for example by editing the WatchList Column or EasyScan Condition directly).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles