Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Fun with Remote Connections Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 8:32:39 AM

Happy Tuesday Bruce,

Had a thought ... instead of using a separate personal laptop at the office to run TC2000, I might be able to use my work laptop to remotely access my laptop running TC2000 at home. Haven't checked with my office I/T guy, yet.

My personal laptop is running Windows 10 Home, so using Windows Remote Connection is apparently not an option. Do you know anything about GoToMyPC? Any other options for accessing my home laptop from the office?

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:04:51 AM

Just got to the office. Haven't talked to "I/T Guy" yet, but my office laptop has TeamViewer installed, so I'm assuming that's their remote access software of choice.

I imagine folks use it to access their work from home. In my case, I'd be doing the reverse. Assuming that's possible. Just need to try it, I guess.

StockGuy
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 9:52:48 AM

Administration

I've used GoToMyPC and TeamViewer. Either should work. The problem with Remote Desktop (even if it was available) is that you probably do not have a static IP address on your laptop at home.  Most consumer ISPs do not not provide/allow this.

Logmein.com is also a good one.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:22:44 AM

Worden Trainer

Note that you can get around not having a static IP by using dynamic DNS forwarding (your router might even support this out of the box and it can be done using software if not).

On another note, you may not need to do this. I have always had dynamic IP addresses (I am cheap that way), but my IP address on cable and now fiber have remained the same months (or even years) at a time.

And some remote connection software (not sure about GoToMyPC) actually have your main PC log into remote access service. This allows the remote access service to know the correct IP address to use when you try to connect remotely (because it also gets connected to the remote access service which then tells the remote computer the correct IP address to use).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:46:05 AM

Thanks StockGuy, thanks Bruce!

Talked to "I/T Guy". Started a new gig last month and don't want my new company on national TV because of a security breach I caused. Bad for business. lol.

Technically, I can access my home laptop from my office laptop. Security-wise, it's not recommended. Also, the guest wireless network at the office is really for guests to do their work. I know, what a concept.

Bummer. May just have to stop tipping the barista so much and pop for wireless access for my personal laptop(s). Don't know much about tethering to my smartphone, but that's not really an option until January anyway (long story). Then I might get a new voice/data/yada/yada/yada plan so I can use my personal laptop anywhere.

Thanks, guys!

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 10:55:29 AM

Talked to "I/T Guy" again. Actually, they're cool with using their guest network for personal stuff. One less expense, more money for my TC2000 Brokerage Account.

One step closer to world domination.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:03:28 AM

Worden Trainer

You are going to need some sort of internet access. Most tethering and non-phone plans I have seen are not unlimited. Remote access can use a lot of data. If you are going to carry around a full Windows machine of some sort, you are better off installing TC2000 (assuming it is your computer or your work allows it on your work PC). Having TC2000 installed on the portable machine would use a lot less data.

The only real reason I can think of to remotely access your home machine is if your portable machine can't run TC2000 on it (either because it isn't Windows or isn't allowed by work). It is really convenient to run TC2000 on a tablet and not lug around a laptop for example (and Android tablets are usually less expensive than Windows tablets with the same power).

Just as a point of reference, I have run TC2000 remotely on an Android tablet. I have also run TC2000 on a $50 Windows tablet I bought during a Black Friday sale and it ran really well. Now both of these only have WiFi built in, so I either need to have access to WiFi or use my phone as a hotspot for it to work. I prefer using the Android tablet because it is nicer, but from a purely TC2000 standpoint, the $50 Windows tablet is probably smoother to use unless I have a really great internet connection.

I am not saying you should run out and buy a $50 Windows tablet (at least get a 2-in-1 with a keyboard). It is really not a very nice computer. It is enough to run TC2000 just fine however.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 4:51:59 PM

The current plan is to use that $150 refurbished 14" Windows laptop that I already ordered (it's actually arriving tomorrow).

I/T Guy said it's cool to use the office's guest WiFi for personal stuff on a personal device. So, the cheap laptop I just bought will sit in the corner of my office desk.

My intraday trading (for now) is going to be limited to trading SPY weekly options. I still have to go through the steps of simulated trading, but I think I can set up contingent orders with the conditions that fit my trading plan. I'm also assuming (need to test) that I can send alerts to my FItbit smartwatch when the order is placed.

Haven't looked at the bracket orders lately, but I think the exits are limited to dollar and/or percentage thresholds. I'd rather set up an exit order based on an indicator.

So, ... the plan is for TC2000 to automagically buy to open based on my condition(s), alert me, which will give me time to log in, and create a sell to close order based on an indicator(s).

Not sure if I asked this before, but I'm assuming I can't set up a sell order based on indicators until there's an open position, if that makes sense.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:46:51 AM

Worden Trainer

You should be able to set up an order ticket in advance and then save it using the ticket menu (a hamburger icon - three stacked horizontal lines in the upper right corner of the order ticket).

With that program feature in mind, please remember I cannot actually give any sort of investment type advice. Please test the feature to see if it does what you want and expect in paper trading first before actually using it for trading.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 1:48:46 PM

Bruce, love the hamburger icon. lol. Thanks for the links.

Yeah, as soon as that laptop arrives, I'm going to slowly start setting things up in a dedicated workspace. One. Step. At. A. Time.

And, definitely simulated mode first. :)

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:03:01 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles