Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Uptrending Stocks - Scan Ideas Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
usmansajid
Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 3:16:41 AM

Fellow Worderner's and Bruce,

I was wondering if there are any particular scans you use to find uptrending stocks.  My minimal criteria of filtering stocks are as follows:

Average Day Range (20 Periods) > 3.5%

Average Volume (62 Periods) > 100000

Price between $0.2 and $30.00

Exchange: AMEX, Nasdaq and NYSE

Captilization >  40

I have a (bad) habit of trying to find the bottom, it works many times but now I invest a large amount of savings so I want to play it safe. I managed to find the bottom with the likes of CARA, HIIQ (at $3.80), CWEI (bottom at $6.65 and ran to $140, amazing homerun that was) and more. But also made some bad trades.

If you have a look at the tickers GLF, ADPT, VRX, VNCE, CXRX, CIE, TDW  -- these have all downtrending. I want to invest in opposite of these stocks, these are my typical candidates when I try to find the bottom. Very risky stocks. I'm not a bear and I don't short-sell stocks. 

I would like to find uptrending stocks like CWEI (ran last year from $6.5 to $100+), CARA, CGIX, AMD, IMMU, IMGN, EVRI, INAP, etc... 

Please can you provide PCF for following formulas:

1) Stocks that are currently in an upward trend (like FUEL, IDRA, CGIX, PNRA)

2) Stocks that are upward trending but are currently having a pullback (like CARA some periods ago)

3) Stocks that have hit a bottom (some periods ago) and are now uptrending (look at IMGN, it shot up and moved sideways; again it shot up and now its moving sideways, I feel another spike is coming). Main thing im looking for is that the continuous 52W bottoms is over, (yes one can never be sure). Other tickers, that have bottomed and uptrending are ATNM and IDRA.

4) Find stocks that gain +/- 30% (i.e. swing) multiple times in a period of 3 months, i.e. look at NE, AGEN, CBK, KERX. These typically dont make new 52W highs or lows, but trade in some range.

Hope this helps others.

traderc
Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 7:42:45 AM

Here's one I use to look through stocks in uptrend.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, March 27, 2017 11:05:43 AM

Worden Trainer

For an uptrend, you can look for things like price being above a moving average.

C > AVGC30

Or a positive linear regression slope.

FAVGC30 > AVGC30

Or a positive net change.

C > C29

Or a recent moving average being above a past moving average.

AVGC15 > AVGC15.15

Or a short moving average being above a long moving average.

AVGC15 > AVGC30

All of the above look at the same 30 bar period starting 29 bars ago and ending on the current bar.

To check for a downtrend instead, you would change the > to a < instead.

To check for a short downtrend as a part of a longer uptrend, you would check for an uptrend of a short period while checking for an uptrend over a longer period.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles