Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Ranking Vs Sub Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
thnkbigr
Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 1:13:16 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

In SF v4 I am trying to Rank stocks fundamentals vs. all other stocks in their Sub Ind 

Foe ex I am trying to screen for stocks that their PE is in the upper half compared to all other stocks within their Sub

What's the best way to do this 

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 4:51:49 PM

Worden Trainer

You need to add P-E Ratio to the chart as an indicator. Then right-click on it and select Create Custom Index from the context sensitive menu.

Choose Morningstar Sub Group as the WatchList. Set Stock Ranked At to Median. The rest of the settings are up to you.

Plot both indicators in the same pane and create a Rule for the P-E Ratio being above the Custom Index.

Custom Market Indicators 3:28
Creating Conditions 9:39

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
thnkbigr
Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 6:02:29 PM

Bruce,

I tried that and I get no plot on the Custom Index. Do you? 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 9:07:52 AM

Worden Trainer

Yes, I do get a plot on the Custom Index.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
thnkbigr
Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:41:03 AM

Bruce I just shares a chart in V4 under CI

I have the PE plotted and I ran the CI but I get no plot 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:56:49 AM

Worden Trainer

Your shared CI chart doesn't work, but I don't know what the issue might be. I shared a CI chart which does plot the CI.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
thnkbigr
Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 1:48:05 PM

Bruce 

I just shares a chart under CI2 in V4 

The only thing I have plotted is the Debt to Equity Ratio and a Custom Index that plots the Rank 50 vs the Morningstar Main Group 

My goal is screen for stocks that their Debt to Equity Ratio is above their Main groups median so as a test I have the watchlist set to S&P 100 as a small list of stocks and the CI is set to calculate the last 100 days only to keep things short

I then created a rule Debt to Equity Ratio Above the the CI and I tried to scan the S&P 100 stocks

This is just a list of 100 stocks and it just takes forever for this screen to run. I know Jerry was playing with this as well

Is this the only way to accomplish what I need to do within worden products and if this is the ony way it just can not be that this takes this long to finish

Can you pls look into this and get back to me

As you know I have pretty fast computers but the spped that this simple sceen takes to calculates is just nervwracking  

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:41:57 PM

Worden Trainer

Your shared chart doesn't plot at all for me. Well price plots, but not the Debt to Equity Ratio or the Custom Index.

When I re-create the chart on my own, the scan takes about 4 minutes 12 seconds on my several year old computer. Shared layout as CI2 (which also has an unrelated main chart in it).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
thnkbigr
Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 3:29:19 PM

I just launched your CI2 layout 

I am over 7 minutes and only 24% calculated ona list of 100 stocks. To me this is ridicolous 

Also take a look at the Sym HAL under your layout pls. you have the rule Debt to Equity Ratio above the Index

As you can see eversince  1/22/2016 HAL's Debt to Equity Ratio has been aboev the Index but the Rule goes on and off rather then staying True since 1/22. Why is that 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 27, 2016 4:26:37 PM

Worden Trainer

The blank areas appear to be an artificact of the way the rule is created by the program in StockFinder 4. I can make the blank areas go away by running the Difference Block of the Rule directly into the Greater Than Value Block (so eliminating the Smart Measure and Ratio Blocks from the logic). The Rule will only stay true as constructed for a little over a month after the last time the underlying fundamental changed values.

That said it took about 5:35 to run the Scan after doing so. More importantly, the Block Diagram is "Not Editable", so it is going to get re-created every time you re-load the layout or restart StockFinder 4.

A method which avoids the gaps from the get go is to add a Morningstar Criteria Rank vs Industry indicator to the chart. You will need to change the Criteria setting to Debt to Equity Ratio and the Industry to Morningstar Main, but the results match the other method after editing the Block Diagram of the Rule.

You would then create a Rule for this being greater than 0. Note that it looks like this method is going to be considerably slower on my comuuter however as it is only about 10% of the way through 5 minutes into a scan.

Things like the Block Diagram for the Rule having the Smart Measure and Ratio Blocks (and how they work or don't work) aren't going to change. All versions of StockFinder are in their final iterations. I haven't checked to see if the issue might be resolved in SF5, but it definitely won't get changed in SF4 (and you don't seem to want to use SF5 in any case).

I don't know why things would behave differently or be slower on your computer than on my computer. You indicated earlier that things got a lot a slower when switching from a hard drive to a solid state drive. That would seem to indicate the slowness would be related to that change or the setup / settings for the SSD.

That said, hardware issues are beyond the sort of thing technical support can do. Even if it was, technical support is not provided in the forums.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles