Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Allocating more memory to realcode Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
techohio
Posted : Monday, June 17, 2013 6:05:09 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Since Stockfinder is based on Visual Basic.NET (I think), I researched that there is an ability to set a maxworkingset property in visual basic that would allow me to utilize more memory for a particular realcode script I've created, if necessary.

I have a slightly complex condition real code script that needs more than 150 bars and works with 50day moving average volumes.  It runs correctly but it runs slowly. 

I do have a 64bit machine running Win7 and I have 8 Gigs of ram.

1.What is the default allocation of memory whenever I run a realcode script?

2. How can I utilize the "maxworkingset" property to allocate more memory and speed up my code?

3. Can I change the allocation to specifically allocate 4 Gigs of ram to my realcode?

Thanks!

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 12:51:51 PM

Worden Trainer

I do not know the default memory allocation for RealCode, nor do I know of a way to specifically allocate a certain amount of memory to RealCode. The person who could answer your questions is out of the country until the 26th.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
techohio
Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 2:08:21 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Hello, Today is June 26 and I'm hoping that the person who can answer my question above has returned.  Can you please review my initial questions with him and let me know ?

Thank you.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:48:06 PM

Worden Trainer

Stockfinder runs as a 32 bit app and therefore cannot access more than 4 gigs of ram.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
caution
Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:40:00 PM
Posted : Tuesday, May 18, 2010 11:52:33 AM

Administration

Build 20 is the final beta build: StockFinder 5 will be going live this week.   We will continue to fix bugs in the software as needed.   Thank you for all your help and support during the beta process. This has been one of our longest and most productive beta periods for any software release.    The beta forums will be closed in the next few days and we will be creating a new StockFinder 5 forum.  We will keep the beta forums internally for us to review any unanswered bug reports and suggestions.

As we begin to work on version 5.1 we hope to incorporate the many suggestions that we were unable to implement for version 5.   Currently our plans for 5.1 include:

- BackScanner engine overhaul

- Alerting

- New 64 bit threading model

A new section of Worden.com is now open with StockFinder 5 information, documentation and videos. We will continue to add and update more videos and documentation including a FAQ and a RealCode training page.

Once again, that you for your time and effort and we'll see you in the 5.1 Beta!

- StockFinder development team

Bruce,

As noted above, the SF5 community was promise a New 64 bit Model.  At least give us that much to alleviate the pain and suffering SF5 users endure on a daily basis...

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 12:57:35 PM

Worden Trainer

There were lots if things planned for StockFinder 5.1, but StockFinder is no longer in development. If a feature did not make it into the StockFinder 5.1 beta before development stopped, it is probably not going to be added.

While there are no plans to discontinue StockFinder or TC2000 version 7, all of our development efforts are focused on TC2000 version 12.4 which is our flagship product.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
pthegreat
Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:05:09 PM

I don't usually 2nd any opinions on the forum, but in this case, I couldn't agree with you more.

No hard feelings towards tech support/Bruce/Kuf,  I think they are top notch!!

But to management; I feel betrayed.  I don't think it is proper business to use royalties from one product (SF) to develop a 2nd product (TC), wich is incompatible with the 1st. While making promises that are not being honored, or use these funds to start a new business (brokerage).

on a 2nd note, as an affiliate I have the same experience: Only after one whole year do they announce that the program is suspended and no payouts will be made for that year, while I have put in efforts and energy for a whole year,to bring in new customers for them. very deceitfull. Not that I rely on this program, but it's the principal.

I know several other SF users that have the same feelings, but what can you do!? it is what it is. 

caution
Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 1:43:18 PM

Well said, The Man himself needs to address this issue IMHO SF5 is far superior to (tc). 

So why kill an awesome idea?  I have searched the web for answers concerning the 32 bit conversion to 64 bit and 4 GB limit without any success. 

So I'm left with a $5000 paper wait specifically bought for SF5.  When all that is needed is a few lines of code for compatibility with 64 bit. 

Sorry.... but that is not too much to ask of for.

signed

dedicated SF5 user!!!

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:00:32 PM

Worden Trainer

Worden Brothers, Inc. heavily promoted StockFinder to the exclusion of TC2000 for several years. During this entire time, StockFinder never gained the type of traction with the public enjoyed by TC2000.

It is not a matter of StockFinder being better or worse than TC2000. StockFinder is more versatile than TC2000 because of RealCode, but it is also more complicated.

It was entirely a business decision. Maybe it is a matter of less being more or maybe people just didn't realize what StockFinder could do, but customers voted with their wallets and TC2000 won over StockFinder.

Worden Brothers, Inc. does not have the resources to actively develop multiple projects at the same time and our current focus is on our flagship product, TC2000 version 12.4. We cannot afford to continue to develop StockFinder if the main source of profit is TC2000.

The choice is between discontinuing StockFinder entirely or in making the product available to customers still wanting to use it instead of or in addition to TC2000. While there is no active development and it is no longer being promoted, there are no plans to discontinue StockFinder or stop supporting it.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jas0501
Posted : Wednesday, February 5, 2014 4:21:03 PM

Converting from 32-bit to 64-bit is not just a matter of a recompile. The are numerous MS com controls that have not yet and will not be converted to 64-bit.  This requires installing the 32-bit version of MS Office if any of these controls are used.

I expect the 64-bit conversion  of Stockfinder may require simliar effort for its controls.

==================

Here was my wish list back in N0V 2010 from 

http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=49188

=============================
As to "we'll soon be working on StockFinder 5.1, which will tackle all documented BackScanner issues".   Can this list be published so that users may comment on omissions?

Never happened....

I know it is not policy to reveal features, except by release, however it would be good to know what the general game plan is for the backscanner. Is there any intention of supporting any of the following?:

1.     A way of saving the results that permits reconstruction or at least realization  of what the backscan rules were at the time it was run.

2.     Improved run to run results tracking

a.     Tabbed scan results, so that one can appreciate result improvements

b.     The ability to provide description with the scan results. Typically consecutive scans are run tweaking settings. There is no easy way to review multiples runs and appreciate what caused the improvements

3.     Money management with support for

a.     Tie breaker, for picking which trades to execute when multiple opportunities are presented

b.     Margin

c.     Minimum/maximum  setups per bar

d.     Minimum/Maximum trades per bar

e.     Maximum open trades

f.      Multiple Trade sizing models

4.     A standard template and support for user specified result templates. This would permit users to compute their own metrics as in Sharpe, Kelly, RAR,  etc. etc

a.     For scan results

b.     For MM results

c.     For optimization run summaries

5.     Intermediate results display of backscan results, to permit early termination if the results don’t look promising. This is particularly helpful when running long scans.

6.     Equity curve display during backscan

7.     Interruption of backscan with partial results retained

8.      Entry and exit @Price

9.     Realcode access to Trade information

10.   Saving backscan trade sets permitting running vai realcode post scan

a.     Money management studies

b.     Entry studies

c.     Exit studies

d.     Correlation studies

11.   For saved backscan trade sets, permitting additional indicator values to be associated with each trade. For example @ trade entry what various ATR values were.

12.   bars in Trade variable in realcode

13.   realcode Loop support for both backscan and Money Management  runs to permit optimization

14.   For optimization

a.     Multiple formats for stating variable values

i.     A set, as in  [5,7,13,23,42]

ii.    A stepped range, x to y stepped by z, as in (5 to 30 by 5)

b.     Realcode access to variable assignments.

15.   Standard IO for reading and writing results. This would permit post processing of run results and adjustments of parameters for scans or MM runs.

16.   Realcode support for multiple positions with scaling into and out of positions

caution
Posted : Thursday, February 6, 2014 1:43:50 PM

jas0501,

Thats quite a wish list, but without performance issues aderssed it remains just that.

Bruce,

We are not asking for a resumption of the SF5 project, folks at worden have made that quite clear. 

What is required is a program the works, some of my indicators do not work during market hours.

My windows taskmanager shows Commit (GB)  2/12 (10 GB to spare).

A Single line to the compiler (IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE)  will force SF5 to use the entire (4GB) allotted to 32 bit Apps.