Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Finding Expanding or Contracting Bollinger Bands Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2004 1:36:41 PM

Worden Trainer

Author: Craig Shipman

keywords: Bollinger bands sort visual channel volatile volatility custom indicator

- Craig
Here to Help!

To view this video you must have Macromedia Flash Player and Microsoft Internet Explorer 5+
rewingr
Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2004 7:46:52 PM
StockGuy,

Followed the link from Customer Support Email to this post, but no further link/info here??

Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, November 11, 2004 8:18:20 PM

Worden Trainer

rewingr,

Are you looking to watch the video on Bollinger Bands? Does the video appear as the 1st post?

- Craig
Here to Help!
rewingr
Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2004 10:45:17 PM
Craig,

I posted a 'retraction', but see it turned up blank!!.

Anyway, I initially was using Mozilla FireFox browser, and it was simply not responding to the script.

When I "reverted" 8-( to IE, it popped right in, and I was able to view/control it normally!

I am sure it is a security setting in FireFox that is the issue, because I did download the Flash for my Mozilla installation.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Roy Ewing
Doug_H
Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2004 11:40:54 PM

Worden Trainer

Glad to hear everything worked out for you, and that you were able to watch Craig's video on Bollinger Bands.

Don't hesitate to let us know if we can help you in the future.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
rewingr
Posted : Monday, November 15, 2004 5:06:47 AM
Doug,

I hope I will be allowed to offer some help to those, like me, that are hardcore Mozilla FireFox converts. As explained in the above posts, I was unable to get the video to load when I selected the link. It was not a security issue that I can tell, but simply that this version of FireFox does not respond to the type of link being used to invoke the video. The IE browser does.

So, rather than find that dusty IE icon (aarrghh), here is a handy FireFox plugin (extension) that automatically pulls up IE for that single task of viewing the video, and then politely puts it away untill called upon again.

In your FireFox browser:

1. Select Tools > Extensions

2. If you do not have "IEview", select "Get More Extensions" on the lower right hand corner of the window.

3. That will open up the Mozilla Update web page, where you can select IEview. Follow the install instructions.

4. Once installed, you use it simply by "Right Clicking" on a Worden forum link that opens a video.

5. You will get a picklist and one of the selections says "Open Link Target in IE". Select that (Left click) and enjoy the video!!

6. When you have completed viewing the video, simply click on the "X" in the upper right of the window to close it, and you are back with FireFox (ain't it beautiful..!!).

DISCLAIMER: This "Extension" is freeware, offered by Mozilla as an add-on to their browser programs. I have no connection with Mozilla, the author of this (or any other!) add-on. Nor do I claim it will make you rich, famous, or that it will even work for you. It works for me by making my browsing easier and more efficient....'nuff said, proselytizing done!

Prosperous trading to you all!

Roy Ewing
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, November 15, 2004 7:29:43 AM

Worden Trainer

WOW!

Mr. Ewing you have officially gone above and beyond the call of duty! Thanks for sharing this great information.

- Craig
Here to Help!
grant_reid
Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:34:42 PM
Hi,

This video was very interesting. Thank you.
Although, I'm curious. There is a system sort called 'volatility' which seems like it should be used for the formula instead. Only there is no associated formula with this built in system sort.

1. What does it represent? (Can you give the formula)
2. Will this formula be as useful as the one already demonstrated for idintifying expanding and contracting volatility of the stock?
Craig_S
Posted : Saturday, March 26, 2005 6:38:30 PM

Worden Trainer

The indicator I present in the video can be adjusted to fit the period of the bands you are using.

Here is the description for Volatility (the one included in the program):

Volatility
(Relative Volatility) This is a measure of the propensity of a stock’s share price to fluctuate widely. The stock’s past changes in share price whether up or down, are compared with price changes in all stocks. This indicator is calculated as follows: The stock’s weekly percentage rise over the last 13 weeks is summed and averaged. The stock’s finial volatility is found by dividing its average of 13-week movements by the median value for all stocks.

- Craig
Here to Help!
chrisl8615
Posted : Friday, December 30, 2005 12:45:49 PM
The Bollinger Bands video was a lot of help.

Thanks
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, December 30, 2005 12:46:48 PM

Worden Trainer

Glad to hear it.

- Craig
Here to Help!
mbbcat
Posted : Friday, March 3, 2006 2:36:54 AM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

A simmilar concept that I have found usefull;

BollingerBandWidth
Calculation:
Indicator=((Boll+)-(Boll-))/Moving average.
This indicator is calculated with the bollinger bands.
It helps indicate if the market is in a strong trend or not.

If the indicator rises, the market forms a trend and if the indicator declines, the trend is almost over.
In a market without trend, you can refer to the Bollinger bands. You can use the lower band as a support and the upper band as a resistance.

Calculation:

indicator = (upper band - lower Band)/Moving Average.

- Now I just have to figure out bol+ & bol- as a pcf! ;)
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, March 3, 2006 9:36:29 AM

Worden Trainer

Check this post out:

Modelling Bollinger Bands (& Standard Deviation) in a TC PCF

- Craig
Here to Help!