Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

% Held by Insiders Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
thnkbigr
Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:00:07 AM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

I am trying to ply around with this indicator % Shares Held by Insiders.

I am trying to look for stocks that have had increases in this indicator which would mean insiders have bought shares recently. 

I am coming across stock such as BA that shows a pretty constant stair step increase in this indicator while the last time I see any insider buying was in 9/16

DLPH shows am pretty decent spike in the last few months but the last insider buying I see was in 4/16

How can % shares held by Insider rise without insider buying? Naybe this is something that you need to reach out to morningstar for

thx 

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:34:10 AM

Administration

Where are you seeing the insider buying data that you are referencing?

thnkbigr
Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:28:58 PM

I am comparing the TC indicator % Shares Held by Insiders vs. what I see on Marketsmith from IBD and Yahoo

My question is how can the % shares held by the insiders rise as the indicator in TC shows while we don't have any transaction that shows the insiders buying unless yahoo and IBD are wrong

or the only other wat that I can think of that the % shares held by insiders will rise is if teh float declines.

Assume we had 100 million in the float and 20 million held by insiders then the indicator will plot 20% but if the float declines to 80 million without any insider buying and the same insiders still own 20 million shares then the indicator will rise to 25% 

So if the float hasn't changes how else can the indicator rise bc its either thry bought more shares or float declined. 

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:44:22 PM

Administration

I'll reach out to Morningstar to see if we can get more information.  But the "spike" in insider holding for DLPH is about a .05% move, so a little over 1.3M shares of a company with a float of around 268M.

thnkbigr
Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 5:32:04 PM

wouldn't that mean that insiders bought/aquired 1.3 million shares

I am guessing that this might have to do with options as well.

If the insiders excersized their stock options and didn't sell it would count those new aquired shares as insider shares which will cause the line to rise. Even though their cost basis is minimal for those shares

thnkbigr
Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:56:36 PM

Anything on this after speaking with morningstar?

Based on my last post my understanding is that they bought or somehow aquired 1.3 million shares. Am I wrong?

If the insider holding increased by 1.3 million shares somehow they aquired those shares

I am trying to understand how morningstar aggregates theor data before I use this indicator. Is it direct buying only? Does it include stock options etc...? 

What causes this % to move?

thanks