Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Fun with Option Scanning Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 10:44:32 AM

Bruce,

Scanning option chains is awesome, but ...

I'd like to limit my scan results based on the value in the Option Days Till Expiration column. I don't see that as an available option (pun intended).

Am I missing something? If not, pleeeeeze add this to the developers honey-do list.

I have four option chain windows open, trying to create a four-legged trade. It would be reeeeally nice if I could specifiy the expiration date or days till expiration in each window so I'm looking at only the contracts I care about.

Happy Monday!

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 10:46:14 AM

For now, I'm using the Flag Column, but there should be a better/easier way. :)

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 12:04:31 PM

Worden Trainer

You can't scan based on Option Days Till Expiration, but you can sort a WatchList containing options (not stocks) by both Option Days Till Expiration and Option Expiration Date.

Thank you for your suggesiton.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 12:18:42 PM

Bruce, thanks, ... sorting by the (Option) Symbol column does the same thing (if I'm reading your response correctly).

For example, just for grins, today I'm looking at SPY options that expire this Wednesday and next Wednesday. So I have to sort by Symbol and scroll down (or up, depending on the sort  :) to see the options with 2 Option Days Till Expiration and 9 Option Days Till Expiration. Normally I'm scrolling down, since most option chains list the lower strike prices at the top, and higher strike prices at the bootom. Which is the total reverse of a price chart (don't get me started ;).

It's not hard once you get the hang of it, but it would be easier to just limit my scan result set. The current way, I can select the wrong contract if I'm overly-caffeinated.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 12:31:20 PM

Btw, it looks like you can't scan by Option Type either (Call or Put). Add that to the wishlist.

This list of option conditions is pretty limiting ...

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 12:56:50 PM

Worden Trainer

Sorting by something means adding it as a WatchList column and then clicking on the name of the WatchList column to sort the list.

So you would click Add Column and choose Option Days Til Expiration or Option Expiration Date. This would return the value itself and not a condition based on the value.

You can reverse the direction by clicking on the name of the WatchList column if you are already sorting by that WatchList column.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 1:09:16 PM

Bruce, I already have the Option Days Till Expiration and Option Expiration Date value columns in my watchlist.

I also have the 'Sym' value column in my watchlist, which includes the expiration date in it.
So, sorting on any of those 3 columns produces the same result.

Unless I've overdosed pn caffeine again. Wouldn't be the first time.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 1:16:24 PM

Worden Trainer

I have submitted your suggestion, but all you can currently is sort by the expiration date if the range you want is in the middle instead of near the top or bottom, then reversing the order of the scan won't help and you will still need to scroll to the desired section.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 1:34:15 PM

Yeah, I know. Thanks, Bruce.

I use the 'Days' spinner at the top so I don't have to deal with the middle of a range. I just scroll down to the bottom. Still, ... :)