Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Fun with Fire Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Sunday, October 7, 2018 11:55:43 PM

Happy Monday Bruce!

You're more up on hardware than I am these days. I was wondering - what do you think of the 10" Fire HD tablet for TC2000? They're only $149.

What I'm specifically interested in is trading spreads on the SPY. I currently have Gold, so I'd have to add real-time data. (I'm not ready for Platinum just yet).

Are tablets in general, and the Fire HD in particular, sufficient for looking at an option chain and placing trades? I'm not even really interested in loking at a chart for my SPY spreads ... I just want to see the current price of the SPY, the option chain, and then buy a call (or put) and sell a call (or put).

I have a spare laptop I can use at the office for my trading, but I thought using a tablet would be simpler, quicker, and more discreet.

Thanks!

StockGuy
Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 9:59:10 AM

Administration

TC2000 requires the Windows operating system. The Fire runs Android.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 10:18:49 AM

Worden Trainer

I don't think the Kindle Fire HD 10 tablet on its own using the TC2000 for Tablets app will work for you, but you might want to read on anyway.

You cannot display option chain data in any mobile version of TC2000. If you want to play around with the functionality of TC2000 for Tablets, you can go the following website in a browser (on your computer if you would like). It is not a full fledged version of TC2000.

https://www.tc2000.com/html5/live/

That said, I do have a Kindle Fire HD 10 (and my wife has one too). I bought it for less than $149 by waiting for a sale even though I bought the version with more memory (and I would generally suggest not paying full price for any Amazon device unless you are in a hurry since there are frequent sales).

My wife's Kindle Fire HD 10 doesn't have the extra memory, and it really seems to be just as functional. I am not sure I would get the extra memory again (especially since you can add a Micro SD card).

It is not a particularly powerful tablet, but it is a very good tablet for the price (especially when bought on sale). I installed the Google Play Store on it so I could access more apps and make it a bit more like a normal Android tablet (you can find videos on how to do this).

Other than the Windows desktop I use for work, the Kindle Fire HD 10 is probably the internet capable device I use the most (and that includes my phone - the phone is more powerful, but the screen is smaller - albeit with higher resolution and even internet connected TVs).

The way I use it for TC2000 is to remote into a Windows machine. This provides access to a full version of TC2000 since it provides access to a full version of Windows. This works pretty well, but the experience is better with a keyboard. I have a little Bluetooth keyboard that attaches magnetically to a leather case for the Kindle. I usually use it without the case and without the keyboard, but will connect it up if I am going to do anything complicated (I also usually have it in the case when it is in Show Mode).

As long as you have an internet accessible Windows machine somewhere you can remote into (or have somebody else maintain said machine for you) and have a decent internet connection for your Kindle Fire HD 10, this works very well.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 2:21:34 PM

Thanks, StockGuy. Thanks, Bruce!

The FedEx guy just dropped off my spanking new Dell 17" Inspiron, so I'll keep the Fire HD 10 idea in my back pocket for now. I picked up a refurbished 14" HP for $150 a month or two ago, but I'm used to 17" screens on my laptop - 14" just seems tiny. 

I have a backback specifically designed for 17" laptops, so I'm probably going to just bring it to the office every day and use that for intraday trading.

Using the Fire tablet to remote into a Windows machine is a very interesting idea. Good to know. May come in handy down the road.

Tanks again.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, October 8, 2018 3:14:57 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles