Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Pcf for unusual volume Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
airsakuragi
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:35:38 PM

hi bruce

how to i write in pcf an unusual volume on the day, 

im into day trading right now, 

my setting is 1Minute so i wanna scan right away a stock that has an usual volume 

and the first candle is green.

could you walk me thru the setting also? should i put the time frame in 1Min? 

thanks

airsakuragi
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:36:32 PM

by the way, i have live streaming so im in real time on my scan

thanks

airsakuragi
Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2018 11:49:35 PM

let me clarify also, the first 1 min candle should have 30 cents gain from the opening, not from previous day.

like,  open was 1.0 and closes at 1.31 with a high of 1.35. (just an example)

another condition also, the stock is 5% higher or more  from the previous day if possible.

thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:33:16 AM

Worden Trainer

There is no way to identify the first candle of the trading day in an intraday formula.

I usuallly search for unusual volume on the day so far by sorting the results of my scan by Volume Buzz.

Today's Volume Buzz

During the first minute of the trading day, you could check for a green candle using the following condition formula set to a 1-minute time frame (using this same formula in a daily time frame would check for the current price being above the open for the trading day).

C > O

You could check for at least a $0.30 increase from the open of the bar using the following condition formula (using this same formula in a daily time frame would check for the current price being at least $0.30 above the open of the trading day).

C >= O + .3

Checking for price being at least 5% above the close of the previous trading day can be done with the following daily condition formula.

C >= 1.05 * C1

Going back to unusual volume, the following formula would compare the average volume of the most recent 1-minute bar to the average 1-minute volume over the previous trading day. Values above zero indicate above average and below zero indicator below average.

100 * (V / AVGV390.1)

A similar formula for a 5 bar span could be written as follows.

100 * (AVGV5 / AVGV390.5)

If you switch to a 2-minute time frame, it would compare the volume to the average over two days and if you switch to a 5-minute time frame, it would compare the volume to the average over three days (this works for all intraday time frames which evenly divide into the trading day).

You can use these formulas as sorts just like Volume Buzz, but you can also create conditions based on the formulas by adding them to an EasyScan. Checking for the value being greater than 100 for example would check for 100% higher than average volume (or double average volume).

Note that the beginning and of the trading days generally have considerably greater volume than the average over an entire trading day. Volume is frequently U shaped when looking at intraday volume across the span of a trading day.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
airsakuragi
Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:43:53 PM

thanks a lot bruce

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 8, 2018 2:50:06 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas