Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Linking Sectors, Indexes and a List of Custom Symbols Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
panvulcon
Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:36:05 PM

Hi, 

I've setup a custom view which consists of one chart and three watchlists (sector, industry and a custom list of symbols). I would like to be able to run conditions on the lists so that they are all connected, enabling me to filter by Sector then industy.

For example:

Say I select the Energy sector from my sector watchlist, i would then want the industries watchlist to display industries related to the energy sector. Drilling down even further, I might then decide to trade in the oil and gas industry, so would like my custom watchlist to show symbols that are available from the oil industy.

Is this possible or am i asking for a magic unicorn?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

panvulcon
Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:41:50 PM

... it appears that both sector and industry are already linked, it would just be the case of somehow linking my custom list of over 400 symbols with the industry list.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 6:40:00 AM

I still haven't finished my first cup of coffee, but ...

Are all your "Symbol Links" the same color? Also, you can check the DrillDown pre-built layout for an example.

If that's not what you're looking for, sorry ... my bad.

Need. More. Coffee.

panvulcon
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:03:13 AM

The original drill down list seems to do this but (and it’s a big but) it works with all symbols. What I would like is the drill down to return only symbols from my custom watchlist.

ps. Coffee makes me sleepy. Decafe ftw

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:07:06 PM

Worden Trainer

I cannot think of a way to do that in TC2000 v18. The Related Items and WatchList Memberships features are similar, but not really connected to each other. The Related Items feature works with System WatchLists and the WatchList Memberships feature works with Personal WatchLists.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:21:43 PM

Decaf is just dirty looking water. :)

If Bruce says it can't be done, you're SOL. LOL.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:27:14 PM

Worden Trainer

Not necessarily. How long did I say it wasn't possible to color the price bars before a workaround suddenly came to me?

If there was some way to fake TC2000 v7's Sub List feature we could do it. If we could add a WatchList as a condition for example (but I can't think of a way to do that using the current feature set).

Or if there was something like SF's flagging feature where each WatchList has its own flag which can be used as a WatchList Column (but I can't figure a workaround to implement that either).

And sometimes I even forget features which are already in the program. I can usually remember all of the old features, the frequently used features, and the most recently added features, but features that aren't used much and fairly recent (but not in the most recent batch of new stuff) sometimes slips my mind.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
panvulcon
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:53:37 PM

Thanks for your input, I have a workaround for now but this would be a fairly easy feature to add in the future.

My workaround is to use the drill down view for sector and industry only. I can then add columns (sector and industry) to my watchlist so that I can manually sort them. Less slick but it works. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 1:03:49 PM

Worden Trainer

Thank you for your suggestion.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:42:04 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
Not necessarily. How long did I say it wasn't possible to color the price bars before a workaround suddenly came to me?

Point taken. lol.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 8:47:55 PM

But I'm drawing the line on decaf. It's swill.