New version 17 available now

Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Request to get TC2000 to show price percent change relative today's open Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
SDRODIMER
Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 1:38:05 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Hi,

For day trading using intraday bar timeframes, a very useful indicator is

100*(current close/day's open -1) for each bar.

I call it "Price Track", and found it much more useful during day trading than what's availabe now in TC2000, which shows percent changes of price during the day relative to the previous day's close in the main watch list.

When there are big gaps at open, using %change from yesterday's close does not provide as useful a measure of price movements during the day compared to working with prices that are available during trading when using Price Track.

I can't find a way to get this using PCF w/ TC2000 because the PCF writer will not let me select the price data for the day's open.

If the first bar of the day has 0 volume, then use the first bar of the day for the open until a successor bar has non-zero volume and then use the open for the first non-zero volume bar thereafter for the rest of the day.

Please add an indicator for Price Track for intraday bar settings to TC2000 that can be put onto a chart as an indicator pane.

... and yes, I am aware of using the Price Ruler feature at the right hand side of the price chart, but it is not as direct as just having a Price Track indicator to set up the desired graph without the need to move the start date around manually on the chart.

Thx,

Steve

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 1:45:18 PM

Administration

100*(C/O -1) 

SDRODIMER
Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:11:07 PM

The PCF you suggested is using the open on the current bar, but for day trading what I'm after is to use the open from the first bar of today's trading as the reference value in the denominator.

If the volume on first bar of the day is zero, then use that bar's open as reference until a bar with non-zero volume occurs and when that happens, use the open from that bar as reference for the rest of the day.

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:14:53 PM

Administration

If you set the time frame on the PCF to Daily, that's what it will give you. The percent change from today's open to the current price. You can add this as a column in your watchlist.

For the purposes of plotting an indicator, there's no way to reference today's open on an intraday chart.

SDRODIMER
Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:45:42 PM

OK.

I understand most of what you suggested now, esp to use as a watchlist column.

I know how to select a timeframe for the chart displays and can see that the watchlists use that time frame as well, but  how do I set a timeframe within a PCF to use daily bars that will work with a chart and watchlist with an intraday bar setting?

I'd still like to get the Price Track added as an available indicator that can be put into a chart pane to be used during intraday trading so that I can see max, min and trends as they develop during the day.

I know that from time to time you have taken suggestions into the program, and I'm voting for this one  because it shows in a direct graph both the trends and the magnitudes of the price movements!

Steve

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:55:45 PM

Worden Trainer

There isn't a way to get this to plot on an intraday chart reflecting the daily open.

Thank you for your suggestion.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2018 2:57:25 PM

Administration

If you create a column using that formula you can set the time frame on the column to Daily. It will not be linked to the chart time frame.

SDRODIMER
Posted : Thursday, January 04, 2018 1:04:17 AM

OK --

Thanks for your replies.

I'll experiment with them to see how to use them.

Onto the next game!

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, January 04, 2018 8:28:21 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles