Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

TinyPic versus PhotoBucket smackdown :) Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:29:32 PM

Bruce,

You can delete this thread at the end of the day if you want ... I just didn't want to continue hijacking jbrem's thread.

First question...

Can you see the images in my Who wants to be a millionaire?!? post? I think I used Photobucket for some and TinyPic for others, so you may have to scroll through a few ... that was when I was comparing the two.

Give me a couple of minutes and I'll post a TinyPic and PhotoBucket image here. I want to make sure you can see what I'm seeing. :) ... no point wasting your time or mine.

Thanks.

Stay tuned.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:30:54 PM

Worden Trainer

Yes, I can currently see all of the images from the Who wants to be a millionaire?!? LOL topic. As far as I can tell, they all use TinyPic.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:34:37 PM

Thanks! Cool. That would've been a shame. That's one awesome caffeine-driven post. Would be even better if I was trading that setup with real money. Still needs testing. Soon.

Couple of more minutes and I'll post two images here. Been using TinyPic forever but PhotoBucket seems easier to use. Want to make sure I get it right.

Back in a few...

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:44:46 PM

Hmmm. Swore I used PhotoBucket for at least a few of those; TinyPic was throwing hissy fits at the time, which is why I tried PhotoBucket in the first place. No worries. This should help...

Okay, here's a link to the reference image: Indian-head test pattern from Wikipedia.

Here's my TinyPic Direct Link for Layouts version...

And here's my PhotoBucket Direct version...

I see two images. How about you?

Final exam: how many fingers am I holding up?
LOL. Just kidding.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:49:17 PM

Worden Trainer

I only see the first image. The second one gives me the 3rd party hosting image with the 100% guage on it.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:54:19 PM

Thanks, Bruce. 

Looks like TinyPic is the way to go until I figure out PhotoBucket. PhotoBucket looks deceptively simple, but maybe it's free to host images for yourself but requires an upgrade to share.

I'll take a quick look. I might post another PhotoBucket test image here. Or not. In any case you can delete this thread before you leave, unless you think it has any value for others.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 12:56:02 PM

Worden Trainer

I don't really see a reason to delete. I can always use it as a link if I see some broken PhotoBucket images.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:01:55 PM

Cool. I just didn't want to clutter up the forum.

When I paste the TinyPic address above into my browser: http://i66.tinypic.com/16j4mq.jpg it looks fine.

When I paste the PhotoBucket address above into my browser:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/putt4doughnuts/tv_zps2hrdcqeu.jpg it's PhotBucket's turn to throw a hissy fit.

The syntax is the same. As far as I can tell PhotoBucket image sharing is free; the upgrade is to get rid of the ads.

Going to take anther stab at it, but I can live with TinyPic. It just sometimes hiccups when I try to upload. The sharing has never falied.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:08:36 PM

Actually, "hissyfit" might be too strong. My browser takes me to my PhotoBucket "bucket" and does display the photo, but not sure if others can see it.

Okay, what do you see when you follow this link? Just curious.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/putt4doughnuts/tv_zps2hrdcqeu.jpg

I get directed to my PhotoBucket bucket, but the URL changes to:
http://s36.photobucket.com/user/putt4doughnuts/media/tv_zps2hrdcqeu.jpg.html

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:24:24 PM

Worden Trainer

Both of the links in your most recent posts bring me to a page displaying the image. Which is then quickly covered up by an ad which must be dismissed in order to see the picture again.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 1:50:02 PM

Thanks again, Bruce. Appreciate the help testing this out. I don't get an ad in either instance. <sigh>

Bottom line, it sounds like I'll stick with TinyPic for now. No drag & drop as far as I can tell, but that's nitpicking. The upload has been hiccuping lately but maybe that's the Starbucks wifi. :) ... posting an image here directly using the Image icon works like a charm with my TinyPic url.

I'm not a fan of providing a link that you have to click on to take you somewhere else. Bit of a hassle. Unless the image is too wide (I usually shrink mine to fit) there's no reason not to display the image here.

I might give PhotoBucket a rest for now - unless I get another coffee refill and am in the mood for a fight. :)

Thanks!

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 2:20:18 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:25:32 PM

Btw, looks like I used PhotoBucket a few times on Page 2 of my Who wants to be a millionaire post, where I'm seeing that annoying usage meter image and message.

Thing is, that wasn't the case the day I posted those. Everything was fine then. Now I'm totally confused.

Never noticed the "P500" before ... a clue!!

Barista!! :)

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:31:07 PM

Worden Trainer

I don't see any problem images on page 1. I only see one on page 2 (I hadn't looked at page 2 when I checked previously).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:31:30 PM

Fyi, for Bruce and PhotoBucket users.
Looks like it is TinyPic for me...

From an online article last month...

Photobucket replaces millions of images with 'ransom demand'

Photobucket tells users no more free hotlinking for you, replaces millions of images with 'ransom demand'

If you&rsquo;ve been shopping online over the last week or so, you may have run across listings that do not include an image of the product but do include a Photobucket error message image. That&rsquo;s because the company quietly did away with free image embedding on third-party websites. It&rsquo;s a move that is being compared to Photobucket holding its users&rsquo; photos for ransom.

Over the last 14 years, Photobucket claims to have hosted over 15 billion images for 100 million registered users, serving up more than &ldquo;120 billion photos and videos to over three million websites.&rdquo; The difference in the number of the photos served as opposed to hosted is because a user may embed the same image on multiple shopping sites, such as eBay, Amazon and Etsy, as well as on forums and other sites. By doing away with free hotlinking, Photobucket has effectively broken billions of images on the internet.

Sure, bandwidth is expensive, but the company previously made money by serving up ads to its users as they used the site. While it&rsquo;s not a crime to try to make a profit without depending on ads, Photobucket seems to have shot itself in the foot, aka corporate suicide, after replacing countless embedded images with an unsightly image saying, &ldquo;Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting.&rdquo;

On June 26, the Photobucket blog briefly noted its updated Terms of Service, which went into effect on June 20. In the three-sentence post, there is no mention of the end of hotlinking unless users pay a $399 annual fee. After clicking to view the new terms, there is a list of three paid account plans, but only the $400 Plus 500 Plan allows for third-party image hosting.

Loyal Photobucket users are furious; many describing the move with terms such as ransom and extortion.

Instead of paying the ransom annual fee, many Photobucket users are turning to other sites that still allow hotlinking.

Stampboards pointed out that users &ldquo;have no guarantee [Photobucket] will still be in business even in a month the way this disaster is rolling out.&rdquo; Instead of paying to remove the &ldquo;&rsquo;WannaCry&rsquo; Gangster like $US400 cash Demand dial,&rdquo; the forum announcement suggested, &ldquo;someone at Photobucket with a brain will see the disaster they have unleashed, and back off totally, or in large part in the next week.&rdquo;

A few other users have come up with workarounds, such as a Chrome extension that is supposed to show the actual embedded image instead of the error message and a fix that is supposed to convert blocked Photobucket images into a working URL.

Maybe you don&rsquo;t have 14 years of images and artwork stored on Photobucket, or you might not use Photobucket and therefore believe this change in policy won&rsquo;t affect you at all. However, as a Reddit user suggested:

Regardless of your feelings about Photobucket, yes they suck, yes you should have seen this coming, yes there are other image hosts, it&rsquo;s all irrelevant. You will search Google for a DIY how-to and the pictures from 2006 will be down. You will search a Honda forum for how to repair a 2010 Honda Pilot power steering noise and the pictures will be down. You will look for a Halloween pumpkin idea from a blog and it will be text only with a bunch of photobucket.com/P500 image links.

There are other options, but if you are considering Imgur then you might be interested to know that at least one Imgur user claimed, &ldquo;Direct Imgur file links now hijack your browser with custom scripts that track you while doubling the load time. Even worse, it defeats its own purpose by shrinking images to half the size.&rdquo;

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:44:40 PM

Bruce, yeah looks like I used TinyPic exclusively on Page 1 of that post.

Weird, though ... looks like I used PhotoBucket five times on Page 2, not once as you've observed. At least I'm seeing five ransom notes. :)

It must take a day or two for their internet crawlers to figure out you've been using your images on their site for posting to 3rd party sites. 

More info for Bruce and PhotoBucket users...

PhotoBucket users may want to look for alternatives. Just a thought.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:55:48 PM

Fyi, below is what you'll find at that http://photobucket.com/p500/ url.

(Image uploaded by TInyPic. LOL!)

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:36:41 PM

Wow. I've used TinyPic out of habit for so long I never realized how long Photobucket has been around. But a Google search shows they've p*ssed off lots of folks with this change. Can't blame them for wanting a sustainable business model, but $399? 

Arrivederci Photobucket! I'll be deleting my images just as soon as I refill this coffee.

Barista!

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:52:23 PM

Apparently their spellchecker doesn't speak Italian. LOL.