Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

STOCHASTIC 8,3,3 Doesn't appear to be correct Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Skeeva
Posted : Thursday, May 18, 2017 11:26:25 PM

Telechart 2000v7-

I added the Stochastic 8.3.3 to my Telechart.  I then created a PCF to scan for any stock that has a Stochastic of 8.3.3 Value of  Less Than 40, using this PCF-   STOC8.3.3 < 40

I then tested the formula with EWP and the result was   30.75 < 40.00 TRUE

All good so far.  HOWEVER, when I look at the actual Telechart and hover over today, I get a reading of:

Stochastics 8,3,3  46.75

When I go to another program and look at the Stochastic8.3.3 on their chart I get a 39.4917.

So, I'm pretty confused as to which one is the correct Stochastic 8.3.3 for EWP after Market Close on 5/18/2017 and if I need to do something to fix my PCF. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the time!

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 10:05:37 AM

Worden Trainer

STOC8.3.3 is the simple stochastic 8,3 SK from 3 bars ago.

The formula for a simple stochastic 8,3 SK for the current bar would be the following (you would need to set the SD Period to 1 to display this value in the pointer mode data box).

STOC8.3

The formula for the simple stochastiic 8,3,3 SD for the current bar would be the following (this is the value being returned when displaying the value of the stochastic in the pointer mode data box).

AVG(STOC8.3, 3)

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Skeeva
Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 9:41:23 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

STOC8.3.3 is the simple stochastic 8,3 SK from 3 bars ago.

The formula for a simple stochastic 8,3 SK for the current bar would be the following (you would need to set the SD Period to 1 to display this value in the pointer mode data box).

STOC8.3

The formula for the simple stochastiic 8,3,3 SD for the current bar would be the following (this is the value being returned when displaying the value of the stochastic in the pointer mode data box).

AVG(STOC8.3, 3)

Thanks for getting back to me Bruce!  So, this is probably a dumb question, but how to I determine the %k from the 8.3.3 simple stochastic?

Skeeva
Posted : Friday, May 19, 2017 9:42:56 PM

Or clarifying that question is -   How do I display the %k on the chart AND How to do a search with a PCF on the %k using the simple stochastic 8.3.3

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 10:03:53 AM

Worden Trainer

I tried to point out both of those things in my original response, but apparently not very well.

If you have the SD period set to something greater than 1, then both the SK and SD will plot on the chart in TC2000 v7, but only the value of the SD will be displayed in the pointer mode data box.

If you want the SK to displayed in the pointer mode data box in TC2000 v7, you need to set the SD period to 1. This will then not plot the SD (or more accurately it will plot the SD exactly on top of the SK). You could then manually add a moving average to the SK in order to have an SD plotted (and reported in the pointer mode data box).

Note the above assumes the stochastic is plotted in the top pane as that is the only pane from which values get displayed in the pointer mode data box in TC2000 v7.

The value of the simple stochastic 8,3 SK is the following.

STOC8.3

Note that the second 3 in a simple stochastic 8,3,3 SD is the period of the SD and is not involved in the calculation of the SK at all. So the formula for the SD in this case would be the following.

AVG(STOC8.3, 3)

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Skeeva
Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 9:53:34 PM

Thank you for that answer.  I think it was more a product of my mis-understanding, than your explanation, as now I understand and looking back at your first response it now makes sense.  

Thanks for the help!

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, May 23, 2017 9:26:28 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles