Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Trendlines in lower chart windows Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
puckster
Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:39:29 PM

Can trendlines only be drawn in the main charting window? I would like to be able to draw trendlines on indicators in the lower windows as well and, as far as I can tell, that is not possible. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Bruce_L
Posted : Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:57:22 PM

Worden Trainer

It is not currently possible to draw trendlines in the middle or lower sections of the chart.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
shatterd
Posted : Monday, August 1, 2005 6:51:36 PM
hope this changes soon. cannot understand why Worden has not come around on this yet? The charting is so good...but you have to ask...how did they forget that one?
RonRice
Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:26:31 PM
I too would like to be able to draw trendlines on middle and bottom windows. Is there any expectation that the Worden brothers will include this in an updated version.

Ron Rice
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:27:58 AM

Worden Trainer

Worden Brothers rarely pre-announces plans for future program enhancements. The suggestion to provide trendline drawing capability in the lower two windows is posted here where it will be seen and reviewed by the decision makers on the development team.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2006 8:17:11 AM

Worden Trainer

When you use the drawing tools in the top window (including trendlines), the trendlines are auto-scaled to the price scale. This is easy because the price scale is ALWAYS the default scale in the top window. You can never delete the price line or its scale.

Things get tricky when you move to the other two indicator windows.... You can have one or hundreds of indictators plotted in the middle/bottom windows. When you draw a trendline there, what should the DEFAULT scale be? How should a user decide which scale to use for the draw if there are more than one indicators plotted there?

This can all be done, in theory. I only bring it up to show what seems like a "simple" think to add to the program actually brings some heavy programmind decisions with it. If it is added, the develepment team will have to come up with a VERY intuitive way to make it obvious which scale you are drawing on. If they don't come up with an intuitive way to determine this, the tech support dept will be flooded with calls and emails from people mad because their TLs are moving around on their own over time (because they meant to draw the TLs on one scale but drew them on another scale by mistake).

- Craig
Here to Help!
jlin827
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 4:42:42 AM
how about just letting user drawing trendlines on their own knowing the fact that the lines you draw on the two lower charts can be distorted when changing time frames or indicators' settings.
With that in mind, I dont see why drawing trendlines on tc2000 are not possible. abling to draw trendlines on the two lower indicator would make users' trading life so much easier. I am pretty sure users are ok with its drawback.
(just my thought)
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, October 27, 2006 7:23:23 AM

Worden Trainer

how about just letting user drawing trendlines on their own knowing the fact that the lines you draw on the two lower charts can be distorted when changing time frames or indicators' settings.

They would also become usless as time passed and the indicator in the window continued to plot. In order for this to be done right, you would have to draw them on a scale with a selected indicator.

- Craig
Here to Help!
JDiStefano
Posted : Friday, November 10, 2006 11:49:03 AM
Well instead of trend lines in the bottom windows, how about, a value pointer horizontal line...
dextyr
Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2006 11:21:17 PM
QUOTE (Craig_S)

They would also become usless as time passed and the indicator in the window continued to plot. In order for this to be done right, you would have to draw them on a scale with a selected indicator.

Well, some of the "free" charting does this very thing. You have to be aware each chart is unique so if time frame or charted symbol changes,new lines have to be drawn on the new chart. It does visually help. And, so does the trend line on a price chart become useless if a person doesn't pay attention.
kokoda
Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2006 8:56:14 AM
My personal observations of trend lines in TC.

I've used trendlines for a long time, in my user-friendly (trend lines) brokerage account and other well known web sites. Thus, I am biased to their functionality. In the same vein, the developer/creator of trend lines in TC is biased. Trying to get through this bias is a tough task.

Limited functionality of trend lines within TC is blatantly obvious, and severely detracts from an otherwise great product:
- manually clicking the pencil for each trend line is ridiculous.
- manually deleting each trend line is ridiculous.
- saving trend lines is equally ridiculous; if one wants a reference, write it in personal
notes.
- the "auto-scale" function was perhaps a "neat" idea, but it is not useful or even desired.

User-Friendly:
Allow a drop-down menu to select " trend line", its width, and color - once selected, one can then draw trend lines on this specific "Chart Template" for any stock symbol. Allow a "clear all trend lines" feature. Allow only manual creation of trend lines.

I want to click on a starting point, hold (mouse button) and drag to my final destination, and then release my "hold" to create the trend line.

This is not meant as a derogatory diatribe, but rather a more detailed explanation for advancing the rationale of enhanced and "normal" trend line functionality within TC.
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:04:12 AM

Worden Trainer

manually clicking the pencil for each trend line is ridiculous

You can press the D key on your keyboard to activate the trendline drawing tool.
manually deleting each trend line is ridiculous.

CTRL-D will delete trendlines from the most recently drawn back.
I want to click on a starting point, hold (mouse button) and drag to my final destination, and then release my "hold" to create the trend line.

If you hit the D key you can click and drag to draw your trendline as you describe above.

- Craig
Here to Help!
kokoda
Posted : Wednesday, November 29, 2006 9:46:59 PM
Craig.......well, just maybe, some of my commentary was ridiculous.

- D Key works as you stated and is much simpler than: R-click, active symbol, drawing tools, trendline.
- CNTL-D took a lettle bit to work out - have to keep CNTL key down while lifting D key, and with multiple trendlines, each requires an iteration (maintain CNTL key down with successive hits on the D key.

In summation (from my perspective):
1. Allow a drop-down menu to select "trendline", "fibs", "etc.). User makes the selection, then chooses its width, and color - once selected, one can then draw trend lines on this specific "Chart Template" for any stock symbol. Allow a "clear all trend lines" feature in this same menu.

2. Eliminate saving trendlines once a new symbol is selected - per above, anyone can make a personal note.

3. The ability to use trendlines in the lower windows, I use for spotting divergences. I don't understand the "auto-scaling", but my thinking is simply - if it is done on other well-known software products, why not here?

I am a big fan of TC. If there are enough "suggestions" on trendline enhancements, then maybe the "customer" is right. In any event, I will remain a TC fan. Hope you got a smile from my opening line.

Ray

Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, November 30, 2006 6:56:58 AM

Worden Trainer

We appreciate anyone taking the time to share their wish list.

- Craig
Here to Help!
bjohnson
Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:53:58 PM
I too would really benefit from the ability to draw horizontal lines on a Wilder's RSI chart. Specifically, I would love to even be able to input the values (30 and 70) that I want the horizontal lines to be placed at as a default on all Wilders RSI plots.
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2007 9:39:36 AM

Worden Trainer

You should see 70 and 30 lines when you plot RSI. Do you not see them?

- Craig
Here to Help!
bjohnson
Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:03:53 PM
I guess I do, didn't realize that is what they were. I would love to be able to change those locations from 70-30 to another number on a stock by stock basis... even horizontal lines hand drawn would be great. Also - Do you think it'd ever be possible to have the color of the line change when it crosses above or below the 70 or 30 point? This would make it a lot easier to identify each instance.