Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Is there a limit to how many symbols I can import into a watchlist? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jbclem
Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 4:55:05 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I'm trying to create a new watchlist that includes the IBD 50 and the IBD Big Cap 20 stocks.  That's 70 symbols.  No matter how I do it, I can't get more than 59 symbols in this new watchlist.

First I created a text file with all 70 symbols, then made a new Telechart  watchlist and imported this text file into the new watchlist.  Result, only 59 symbols showed up.

Next I deleted the 59 symbol new watchlist, and created another new watchlist and imported 50 symbols from the IB 50 text file.  Result, 50 symbols.  Then I imported all the symbols from the IBD Big Cap 20 text file, that's 20 more symbols.  Result, still ony 59 symbols total.

Can you suggest something I'm doing wrong, or is the a 59 symbol limit to a new watchlist...meaning I'm going to have to add these symbols manually.

BTW, I've done this many times previously and haven't had this 59 symbol problem.

Any suggestions?

diceman
Posted : Sunday, August 2, 2015 9:12:49 AM

The limit is something like 3000 symbols.

You shouldnt have a problem based on quantity.

My guess would be some of the symbols are not actually formating as text.

I would probably do the 59 and enter 11 by hand.

Depends how much of a rush you are in.

Next week you can contact support if the problem isnt solved.

Thanks

StockGuy
Posted : Monday, August 3, 2015 8:55:29 AM

Administration

Is there any overlap between the two lists? If so, that would explain why the final list has less than 70 symbols.

jbclem
Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 6:46:27 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I checked and yes there was an overlap...11 symbols exactly.  So thanks for pointing this out to me, it should have been obvious but I guess I wasn't thinking at the time.