Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

stocks rising and falling in price Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
texastyphoon
Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:23:01 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I would like to know how to write a formula to scan for stocks from a designated list that are rising in price just above a rising  9 period EMA with a rising 20 period SMA. I would also like to do the reverse for stocks fallingin price just below a 9 period EMA and a falling 20 period SMA. My formula writing skills are a joke. Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:32:05 PM

Worden Trainer

A Condition Formula for a rising price above a rising EMA9 and rising SMA20 can be written as follows.

C > C1 AND C > XAVGC9 AND C > AVGC20 AND C > C20

A Condition Formula for a folling price below a folling EMA9 and falling SMA20 can be written as follows.

C < C1 AND C < XAVGC9 AND C < AVGC20 AND C < C20

With that in mind, I'm not sure how you want want to define "just above" or "just below" and the "just" portion was not included in either formula.

PCF Formula Descriptions

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
drchristy13
Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 11:43:40 AM

I am looking for a PCF for

Stocks with follwing:

above the rising 20 period SMA with the slop of 30 drgree and above within the time period between  9:30am  and 11:00 AM eastern

Edward

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, March 30, 2015 1:34:08 PM

Worden Trainer

30 degrees is pretty much a meaningless concept in technical analysis and the slope in degrees will change based on scroll, zoom and even the aspect ratio of the chart.

A percent slope can be used to make legitimate comparisons between symbols, but there isn't a way to specify a time of day in an intraday Personal Criteria Formula.

You would need to know the time frame to determine the number of bars between 9:30 AM and 11:00 AM. You would also need to know how many bars have passed since the 11:00 AM bar ended to determine the number of bars ago.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles