Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

SF 5.1 Watchlist column doesn't auto calculate Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
stargeezer
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:08:03 PM

In StockFinder 5.1 I am having problem getting a watchlist column to automatically calculate.

I have plotted a Linear Regression Trendline (15 day period) in a chart.  I then created a watchlist column by dragging the chart title to the watchlist and selecting Show % Change.  When the % Change Period is “1” the column contains the vertical span of the trendline over 15 days, expressed as percent.  I am using an Update Frequency of 5 seconds.

The problem is the values in the watchlist column are not initially calculated unless the % Change Period value is changed to something like “2” and then changed back to “1”.  This manual reset forces the value to change from an incorrect value of approximately 338 to the correct value of single or double digit percentage.  This auto calculate fails when SF is initially opened and also at other times.

How do I get this calculation to automatically calculate when the watchlist is opened? 

Can you suggest a better way to compare these trendlines on a percentage basis.

I am also doing this with a custom index plot and it seems to work OK and calculates immediately.

By comparing trendlines for both the stock and the custom index (i.e. my portfolio) I can semi-quantitatively determine if the stock would currently positively or negatively affect my holdings.

Thanks.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:21:07 PM

Worden Trainer

Try adding a 1-period exponential moving average to price and then adding the 15-period linear regression trendline to the 1-period exponential moving average instead of adding it to price directly.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
stargeezer
Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2014 4:57:34 PM

Bruce,

That works.  Thanks.

Stargeezer

petyu2000
Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:25:31 AM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Hi Bruce, where are "my watchlists" stored?  I need to copy them to my laptop.  Thanks.  Peter

stargeezer
Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 10:29:29 AM

This still has a problem.  This column doesn't seem to reset for the curent day.  When I open the Edit Colume panel the Date entry (the fifth selection under the Data tab) doesn't reset to the current date automatically.  Clicking on the Today box doesn't setup a dynamic reset of the date.

The following is a general question that may or may not be related to the above problem:

I also don't fully understand how the Linked to Chart parameter works and what happens if I turn this off.

stargeezer
Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 12:40:05 PM

I understand the basics of the Linked to Chart parameter but I wanted to know if it is involved with this problem and if linking can be reestablished after it has been turned off.

Thanks.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 1:13:30 PM

Worden Trainer

The issue of why the WatchList Column doesn't reset for the current day would be a matter for technical support. That said, StockFinder 5.1 never made it out of beta and no updates, feature enhancemets or bug fixes are planned for any version of StockFinder at this point.

When an item is Linked to Chart, adjusting the chart will adjust the settings of that item as well because they are linked. It doesn't quite pull the data from the chart, but it is similar.

Unlinking an item from the chart bundles all of the items used to calculate that item together into the item. Any settings now need to be adjusted within the item instead of on the chart. It is not reversable.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles