Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Simple breakout formula Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
donaldspinks
Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 9:32:00 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Hello

I am new and I am sure this is a simple question. I want to create an indicator that tells me when a stock breaks out over a day high or breaks down below a 10 day low. 

Thanks

Donald

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 11:39:41 AM

Worden Trainer

You can't create a Condition Formula to check if the current intraday bar is a new high for the trading day. About the closest you can do is to create a daily Condition Formula to check for the current price being the high:

C = H

A Condition Formula for a new 10-bar low can be written as:

L < MINL9.1

PCF Formula Descriptions
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
donaldspinks
Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 11:51:25 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I just want to be able to see the 20 day high and 10 day low at the beginning of each day without counting 20 bars individually.  Thanks for your response. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 1:22:26 PM

Worden Trainer

Donchian Channels will plot the the high and low over the period of the Donchian Channels, but the periods of the high and low need to be the same. The period normally ends 1 bar ago, but you can change the offset to 0 to include the current bar in the calculations.

Another option would be to add Custom PCF Indicators to the chart in the same pane and scale as price. Click on Price History (the symbol and possibly company name in green in the upper left of the pane in which price is plotted) and select Add Plot Here. Then select Custom PCF Indicator from the list.

You can start typing Custom PCF Indicator in the Search box to quickly bring it to the top of the list so it is easier to find and select.

You will want to choose to scale the Custom PCF Indicator with price history when prompted.

You can then click on the Custom PCF Indicator and select Edit to adjust the formula. Use the following for the current 20 bar high:

MAXH20

Or the following for the current 10 bar low:

MINL10

Indicator Scaling

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles