Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

RealCode Zero Lag Moving Average Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
BobMc
Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 4:30:21 PM

Hi Bruce,

Is it possible to create a realcode zero lag moving average that I could use with a 5 period Linear Regression Slope

Thanks

Bob Mc

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 5:02:03 PM

Worden Trainer

You could just add a DEMA or Linear Regression to Linear Regression Slope indicator as a child indicator. Both the DEMA and Linear Regression are types of zero lag moving averages.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
BobMc
Posted : Monday, April 8, 2013 9:31:25 PM

Interesting - who knew?  I certainly didn't

I had tried a 3 period exponential MA as my best thought

So, I now have tried all 3 -exponential; DEMA and Linear Regression.  They are all very similar and frequently have the same turning point on the example I used.  DEMA and Lin Reg have slightly wider ranges and the Lin Reg sometimes turns earlier than the other 2.

Now, i just have to find the "right" Linear Regression  Slope to use.

Regards

Bob Mc

jas0501
Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:57:57 AM

QUOTE (BobMc)

Interesting - who knew?  I certainly didn't

I had tried a 3 period exponential MA as my best thought

So, I now have tried all 3 -exponential; DEMA and Linear Regression.  They are all very similar and frequently have the same turning point on the example I used.  DEMA and Lin Reg have slightly wider ranges and the Lin Reg sometimes turns earlier than the other 2.

Now, i just have to find the "right" Linear Regression  Slope to use.

Regards

Bob Mc

Well if the right slope was obvious it would stop working.

You might consider some additional longer term setup circumstance relating to volume ot atr or some other indicator situation that would improve the perfromance of the selected "obvious" slope. or some overall market circumstance might improve the performance.

Without the additional setup there would be a lot more trades, with the setup the number of trades would decrease but the perfromance would improve. To avoid curve fitting the number of trades should be in the hundreds or even thousands, not reduced to just a few.

BobMc
Posted : Tuesday, April 9, 2013 12:51:19 PM

Thanks JAS,

I do have several other qualifiers within the layout I'm working with. 

I understand about "curve fitting" - even if I'm only working with one stock or index - I can see where it can make a big difference in trending vs cyclical times.

Appreciate your input

Regards

Bob Mc

BTW- I've been "experimenting" with Starc Bands applied to various indicators and there seem to be some good actionable action/reaction possibilities when the indicators reach or exceed the bands in either direction.  Hve you had any experience with them?

jas0501
Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 3:03:40 AM

QUOTE (BobMc)

Thanks JAS,

I do have several other qualifiers within the layout I'm working with. 

I understand about "curve fitting" - even if I'm only working with one stock or index - I can see where it can make a big difference in trending vs cyclical times.

Appreciate your input

Regards

Bob Mc

BTW- I've been "experimenting" with Starc Bands applied to various indicators and there seem to be some good actionable action/reaction possibilities when the indicators reach or exceed the bands in either direction.  Hve you had any experience with them?

No not exactly Starc bands. but  I often use  normalized moving average ATR differences, (ATRx - ATRy)/C,  as a filter. As the Stark upper band is SMA + k*ATR  and the lower band is SMA -k*ATR, this is similar to a normalized ATR and is is plotted with price, thus normalized. A contracting ATR would increase the chance of a crossover when there is price action toward the bands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of the fertile ground in TA relates to reversion to the mean. The 10 day low being a typical example.