Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Volume moving average values change with zoom Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tsisung
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:24:04 PM
I just noticed this issue while looking at the chart of AIPC visually on zoom 2 & 4.  I moved the volume and moving average to the top pane and used the pointer to watch the values as I changed the zoom.  The moving average of volume line (30 day simple) changes values as I adjust the zoom.  On zoom 2 the value of the moving average is 3,450.33.  On zoom 4 the value of the moving average is 3,959.58.  The closer I zoom, the higher the value goes.  I did the same with over 10 other symbols on various zoom levels and all of them the volume moving average value changed as the zoom changed (some more significant than others).  Is there a way to correct this issue?
diceman
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:09:06 PM
I tried putting this in the data bar and it did
not change.

You may want to try: AVGV30
in your data bar.

(remember that you have to update to see the value)

See this:

Thanks
diceman

tsisung
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:19:54 PM
This issue I'm having isn't with the data bar.  It is with the data box that displays when the pointer mode is activated.
diceman
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:55:13 PM
I know but if it is on your screen and doesnt
change. You dont need to deal with the pointer.

If thats a value you are interested in. It seems simpler.

Im not sure why the value changes with the pointer.

Thanks
diceman
tsisung
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:51:34 PM
Let's forget about the actual values right now.  Look at the two images.  Same stock, same day but in the closer zoom the daily volume appears below the average volume line and in the further out zoom the daily volume appears above the average volume line.

tsisung
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:07:08 PM
Sorry about the image width.

I figured it out.  It has to do with the volume truncating feature.  It was turned on to truncate anything over x10.  I turned it off and the volume bar always stays under the moving average line for that particular day.  Other symbols tested well too.

Regarding the values, I turned the pointer on and checked this symbol and many others and the values still fluctuate.  Without the truncating turned on, the values generally only fluctuate by the hundreds which isn't a huge deal.  With truncating on the values can fluctuate by the hundreds of thousands.
Tal_E
Posted : Sunday, January 4, 2009 10:48:12 PM

Worden Trainer

tsisung,

We are looking into the reported "fluctuations".  Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks for your post!

Tal_E
bustermu
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 8:01:58 AM
QUOTE (tsisung)
Regarding the values, I turned the pointer on and checked this symbol and many others and the values still fluctuate.  Without the truncating turned on, the values generally only fluctuate by the hundreds which isn't a huge deal.

tsisung,

The following statement was made on another thread:

"I have always assumed the error is because the values for the Data Box are read somewhere in the plot algorithm or off the plot itself.

In order to see this error, please bring up SPY and construct a Custom Indicator with Indicator Formula:

V

Read its values in the Data Box and compare to Volume."

Bruce stated he would make the same assumption.

Thanks,
Jim Murphy
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 8:07:01 AM

Worden Trainer

Yes, that is the cause. It uses the Plotted Volume to create the Plotted Moving Average. When the Volume is truncated, this affects the Moving Average as well.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles