Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Hard ware tips any Flat screen LCD suggestions? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
scottnlena
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 11:23:28 AM

I"m looking at buying a new LCD monitor.. i'm leaning twards 22".  I was going to keep my old tube monitor to run double monitors but make the flat screen the main monitor.. but I don't really nead to do that.. besides space is an issue Unless I moun it to the wall of put it on top of my old monitor.

any what is important for the LCD monitors in terms of charting... aspect ratios ? ?  Screen response time?  what is great and what will look the same?

I'm considering a Dell 22" with an aspect ratio of 800:1 or an ACER with 700:1 for the same size.  both have the 5 miliseconds response time There is a third option that is 1000:1.

Someone told me it's better to use some "other connection" than the regular plug connector type that is used no the tube monitors.

how are they in terms of Eye strain.. I understand they don't put out the radation that older monitors do.
thekubiaks
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 11:50:47 AM
You need to know if the video connector on the back of your computer video card is DVI or VGA.  They do make a VGA to DVI adapter for your video card if required, they are cheap.  Anyway, I like Samsung monitors, they have great pictures, good contrast ratios, good refresh rates, and are reasonably priced.   A lot cheaper than the Dell.  Look at a Samsung 226BW on Newegg dot com, Great monitor and great place to buy from.  Regards
realitycheck
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 5:47:09 PM
I also make most of my purchases from newegg ...

And contrast ratio is important ... and response time can be ... depending on how you're going to use it ... i.e fast scrolling, gaming, etc ...

But ... one thing that is generally not a "headline" spec ... but is very important to my old eyes ... is the brightness of the monitor ...

Seems like the older that you get ... and the more glass that you put in front of your eye ... the more light that you need ...

scottnlena
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 8:31:00 PM

This is going to be used as a serious working chartist computer, {cough, some games}.

yea .. i'm hopoing that it's not quite as bright as a tube.. it gets a bit painful after a while looking into the monitor all day.  I keep flirting with the idea of changing my chart background to be black .. for eye strain reasons but I'mve gotten so used to white changing it feels strange.. Pluss I have some black indicators so I'd ahve to spend about 2 hours deciding which colors to make everything.
diceman
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 9:16:15 PM
SFO magazine just had an article on monitors.

There recommended requirements:
------------------------------------------------------
Baseline:

Resolution: 1680X1050
Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
Response time: 8 milliseconds
Pixel Pitch: .25
Brightness: 500 candelas per square meter.

Optimal:

Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
Response time: 2 milliseconds
Pixel Pitch: .22
Brightness: 1000 candelas per square meter.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
diceman

realitycheck
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 9:54:47 PM
QUOTE (diceman)
SFO magazine just had an article on monitors.

There recommended requirements:

Baseline:

Contrast Ratio: 1000:1

Response time: 8 milliseconds

Pixel Pitch: .25

Brightness: 500 candelas per square meter.

Optimal:

Contrast Ratio: 2000:1

Response time: 2 milliseconds

Pixel Pitch: .22

Brightness: 1000 candelas per square meter.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

diceman

Great post diceman ...

Many of the less expensive LCDs are down in the range of 350 cdm^2 ....

If it's too bright ... you can turn it down ...

If it's too dim ... then you're just SOL ...

BigBlock
Posted : Monday, March 3, 2008 11:42:57 PM

Let me give you a good piece of advice as I run 2 systems with multiple diplays each.  I think I have been where you are.
THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind while doing multiple displays is to keep the continuity of components. 
Forget about using your old tube and a new LCD - it is not going to be easy on your eyes and you will not be very happy.  When you look at an LCD for a while and then change to the CRT or viceversa your eyes are going to do funny things.

This is what you want to do.  Lets say that you have a system and want to run multiple displays on it:

1 - you want all monitors to be the same brand and same specs - Basically you want the same monitor all the way across.
2 - you want all video addapters to be the same too
3-  Once you have the hardware up and running - you need to configure the software.  
For the software I recomend to let window find and configure the drivers.  Then of course use the windows interface to change settings and such on the display (don't install or use the propietary software that comes witht the video adaptor -charts don't require any fancy stuff - but trading requires reliability).  That will save your system system resources and simplify problems related to propietary drivers which on ocassion do not blend too well with your OS.

scottnlena
Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:01:59 AM

Thanks. All.
scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:10:43 PM

I wen't with the DELL 22" mainly becasue that is what Walmart had on the shelf.. and I prefer not to have stuff like that shiped to me if I can avoid.  Walmart is great about returns and I'm so far out in the country that to go to a real computer store is like planing a real trip to the city ... Weathers been hit or miss.

BUT this is great !  I feel like a charting king pin.  I can litteraly see 3 more months of charts on screen with the same size candles (zoomed out 1X).  The uninformed migh think I was a pro.
BigBlock
Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 5:04:31 PM
You shop at walmart??
scottnlena
Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2008 9:01:08 PM

Well.  it's that OR drive  almost an hour to DesMoines.  There was a computer shop here in town but it closed.. along with the music shop, The thai resturant, the ethnic grocery, the Art Gallery, some of the better resturants.... 

I don't buy clothes there but some stuff makes sense.  The local one has a pretty decent electronics department.  I mainly like the return policy.

turns out I don't think my video card will take double monitors and I don't have desk space for the the double anyway.  however the 22" is like looking at a movie screen.  I like it.  Works nice.  I'm not day trading anymore so I really don't need a double monitor anyway.

Besides with mom at work all day I'm not going to pack up the baby and drive for a stupid monitor. 

allot of the locals and especialy the University crowd are anti Walmart.. but they shop there to.. it's that or drive, as I said about 45 min at least to the nearest town.  Trust me it gets Realy boring here.  My town has a super high birth rate.  People assume there is a medical problem if you don't have more than three.
Chuck/Las Vegas
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:57:31 PM
There's a company that sells Trading Computers that has a nice website. They sell monitor arrays with up to six monitors.  They use Samsung. Don't know if I'm allowed to post the url but I'll reply to a emai to my throwaway address: rrchuck@excite.com
funnymony
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 2:13:34 PM

QUOTE (BigBlock)

Let me give you a good piece of advice as I run 2 systems with multiple diplays each.  I think I have been where you are.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind while doing multiple displays is to keep the continuity of components. 

Forget about using your old tube and a new LCD - it is not going to be easy on your eyes and you will not be very happy.  When you look at an LCD for a while and then change to the CRT or viceversa your eyes are going to do funny things.

This is what you want to do.  Lets say that you have a system and want to run multiple displays on it:

1 - you want all monitors to be the same brand and same specs - Basically you want the same monitor all the way across.

2 - you want all video addapters to be the same too

3-  Once you have the hardware up and running - you need to configure the software.  

For the software I recomend to let window find and configure the drivers.  Then of course use the windows interface to change settings and such on the display (don't install or use the propietary software that comes witht the video adaptor -charts don't require any fancy stuff - but trading requires reliability).  That will save your system system resources and simplify problems related to propietary drivers which on ocassion do not blend too well with your OS.

two systems with multiple displays?

you mean you have two pc's with one monitor each?

are you able to view multple stocks in muliple timeframes at the same time?

do you run the same software on multiple pc's? i assume your not running telechart because they won't allow it under one membership.

i use my broker for intraday charting. i basically have it setup, so i can view daily,60min,10min,1min charts for a particular stock at the same time on one screen,

it would be nice to view multiple symbols at the same time as well. but i don't see how to do it, other than just logging in with a seperate pc.
scottnlena
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 9:46:51 PM

QUOTE (Chuck/Las Vegas)
There's a company that sells Trading Computers that has a nice website. They sell monitor arrays with up to six monitors.  They use Samsung. Don't know if I'm allowed to post the url but I'll reply to a emai to my throwaway address: rrchuck@excite.com

Well you can just name the company and we can google it.
scottnlena
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 9:48:44 PM

two systems with multiple displays?

you mean you have two pc's with one monitor each?

are you able to view multple stocks in muliple timeframes at the same time?

do you run the same software on multiple pc's? i assume your not running telechart because they won't allow it under one membership.

i use my broker for intraday charting. i basically have it setup, so i can view daily,60min,10min,1min charts for a particular stock at the same time on one screen,

it would be nice to view multiple symbols at the same time as well. but i don't see how to do it, other than just logging in with a seperate pc.

I can view multiple charts at the same time with my broker... and trade right from the chart.  The issue was I was thinking it would be easier to run TC and Blocks  att eh same time .
realitycheck
Posted : Saturday, March 8, 2008 10:15:46 PM
QUOTE (scottnlena)
QUOTE (Chuck/Las Vegas)

Well you can just name the company and we can google it.

Uh ...

maybe tradingcomputers dot com

BigBlock
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 5:39:47 PM

Hey guys I thought we were done with this thread.  What is the big deal - it seems you always try to make everything so complicated.
Lets clarify this.  I have 2 systems.  Each system runs multiple displays - to be exact 3 display in each system for a total of 6 displays all together.

Yes I am able to view multiple stocks in multiple time frames, and in real time or EOD all at the same time.  I am also able to run multiple data sources for that.

I can have the realtime trading plataforms open simultaneously on both system or just one of them, and run the software across all monitors or just one.  You cannot move between monitors attached to different system, but you can move as you please between any set of monitors attached to the same system.  You can also maximize an application across all monitors.

I can trade, chat, and watch a movie all at the same time (viewing all fully) if I wanted to.  Each system can have up to 6 displays also.

The problem with telechart running on multiple monitors is that the application is self-contained and limited to a max of 8 charts.
For example in my trading plataform I can open unlimited numbers of charts and move them as I please over any and all of my monitors.  YOu cannot do that in Telechart.  The charts have to be withing the charting main window.

You go ahead and find a company that will do this for you and plan for an arm and a leg to go along with the hefty bill.  
I have done this quite often for different clients and can do it for you much cheaper than any company out there.  You will need a paypal account so you can be invoiced.  I let you pick the components (and so cost) if you like to do that.  Keep in mind that testing compatibility can be tricky and time consuming therefore in can be expensive.  Other than that we already have system components tested for compatibility and reliability (called preset system and components - ready to assemble).  We charge as a low as $65 for the first hour, and $20 every half thereafter.  That is much cheaper that you will find out there.  Let me know.

scottnlena
Posted : Sunday, March 9, 2008 8:53:32 PM

WOW .. that sounds like the Lexus of trading.  When I turn m trading into something that consistantly returns serious proffits I'd go for it.
funnymony
Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 1:40:47 AM

sorta like when cnbc goes down to bob on the floor, you see those floor traders with huge lcd's and viewing maybe 16 charts at a time.

bigblock must have a regular trading room.

but i think i'll just stick to my laptop for now.
diceman
Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 9:25:16 AM
Now I know why people only want to look at
price and volume. That's all they have time for.

Thanks
diceman
jimstacy
Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 5:21:55 PM
schwab has a great set up for information, 20 charts, with several tabs, these can be set to float like wordon float. I've used up tp 13 tabs on each chart.(there are more, 20?) one advantage is to use stocks from the same groups, as the weaker decline or the stronger advance, its similiar to an alert to get in on the slower  movers in the group. if the more active make a move use one slower to make the trade if you feel the move has advanced on the more active. it takes effort to study the character of how the moves can be similiar to the other. also some will be up as others are down be sure to use those following another. also honing your skills on the useing price action v/s volume action. HP had a sale on 12 monitor trading computers this past summer. Or take a adult class on building a computer for your self. I've build three up graded several, not too tough with some training.
BigBlock
Posted : Monday, March 10, 2008 9:53:57 PM
Yes, you cannot fight guns with swords or knives.  Hell you can't fight tanks with guns.  You can't only react if you see it coming.  If you don't it will run over you back and forth until you are fit to the ground.

"Sometimes running away is the best strategy"

Take care and trade as you wish.  Count as you wish too - that is your loses and your profits.