Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

What's your take on GE? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Lithoprinter
Posted : Friday, April 27, 2007 8:44:26 AM
I'm pretty much an amatuer at reading charts but my wife has a large holding in GE and it seems like the chart is showing a head and shoulders patern.

Many of the fundamentals look OK but I hesitate to tell her to dump them based on my inexperience.

Thanks
tobydad
Posted : Friday, April 27, 2007 8:59:29 AM

Since your wife's holdings are probably seen as long term, I think Diceman might be your best bet for an answer.

Short term (over the next few weeks), I think it looks pretty good.

Of course, there's all this debate going on about imminent market direction; that will play the largest role.
scottnlena
Posted : Friday, April 27, 2007 10:22:46 AM

I'm not much of a bluechip player but GE is one that I would like ot hold for my long term investments when I do open them.

Head and shoulders tops are, i've read and am told... and have noticed, not as reliable as they use to be in terms of guageing the drop. Many fail in that they lead right into a botom pattern.... Which creates a large consolidation. Ge may fluxuate but, and I could have confused tickers, they have got some great things coming down the pipes. I think it was them who made a considerable breakthrough in something for fuel cell designs in terms of making the hydrogen financially viable to priduce, something to do with a new polimer beign used in the process, verses precious metals.

Long term holdings should not be obsessed over so long as they are in good sectors. I think for longer term stuff dollar cost averaging probably works well. If you are worried about it stop adding to it.

I personaly have trouble keeping things long terms becasue I get so wraped up in the daily short term action. I can't tell you haw many stocks I got in and out of with marginal gains or losses and looked back a year later and saw that I shot my self in the foot.

Just my thoughts. But then again my idea of a long term holding is a nice bottom formation in a sector that is due for a turn around.

I wouldn't worry about it. Infact I wish I have found it two days ago i'd be in it.
Ralph Koozer
Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2007 12:57:35 PM

Hi Scottnlena,
RE GE:
1. I'm long in GE and have been for some time now. We bought into it in a "dogs of the dow" buy several years ago.

Recommendation:
1. Use the Drip technique; reinvest the dividends-at least half.
2. Use the 10 % game. Sell 10 % of the position when it first hits 10 % over its 200 day moving average, and buy 10 % more into the position when it first hits 10 % below its 200 day moving average.

You might backscatter that game to simulate it before you actually do it.
tllucero
Posted : Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:09:29 PM
My reading on the GE chart - all my readings are 1 week to 3 months - neutral. Since the market is usually up, that means slight positive bias.

There are at least 100 stocks I'd buy first, but I'd pick GE before XOM. Long term, GE has done well - very well. Just check market cap or earnings.