Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Searching for Narrowing Bolinger Bands Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
JCPINVESTxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Posted : Friday, December 15, 2006 5:26:00 AM
Hi ... Please help me find or create a search that will locate all optionable stocks where the Bolinger Band is narrowing. Thanks, Jay
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, December 15, 2006 8:26:05 AM

Worden Trainer

You can create a list of optionable stocks by creating an EasyScan with the built in System Criteria Optionable Stocks as an EasyScan Condition. You may wish to review the following for help with both this and a technique for identifying narrowing Bollinger Bands:

Finding Expanding or Contracting Bollinger Bands
Using EasyScan to find stocks that meet your own criteria
Definitions of all built in scanning and sorting criteria

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
NormB
Posted : Friday, December 15, 2006 3:28:01 PM
QUOTE (JCPINVEST)
Hi ... Please help me find or create a search that will locate all optionable stocks where the Bolinger Band is narrowing. Thanks, Jay

I found this video really helped me alot.
Topic: Sort using envelopes, regression channels and Bollinger bands
Posted: 12/7/2004 3:22:12 PM by Craig_S
Posted : Sunday, February 11, 2007 7:42:17 PM
Thanks for your help. I now have the Formula installed and the indicator showing on my screen. However, when I sort by it, it does not seem to organize the stocks by lowest to highest and visa versa. I still have to space bar through the stocks to flag the narrow ones. Am I missing something? Thanks for your help. Jay
Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2007 6:45:16 AM
I'm using the formula ABS(AVGC3-AVGC7))and indicater that shows stocks with low volatility (narrow Bollinger Bands) but am still not pleased with the "Sort By" feature when trying to rank stocks by the narrowness of their Bollinger Bands. The sort does not seem to putting them in ascending or descending order. I've called Tech Support but they suggested I ask the trainers. Thanks for your help! Jay
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:13:17 AM

Worden Trainer

Your sort has more to do with the stock's price per share than its volatility.

Have you watched this video yet?

Finding Expanding or Contracting Bollinger Bands

Bruce linked it for you above. I think it is a VERY effective and easy method for finding contracting or expanding bands.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2007 9:13:46 AM
Hi Craig ... Yes, I had watched the video. However, when I
sort by", the list order returned is NOT according to Bollinger Band width /volatility order. The list I receive is all intermixed with stocks of varying volatility. It is not in an order similar to what is demonstrated on the video. Any suggestions??? Thanks, Jay
Bruce_L
Posted : Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:04:17 AM

Worden Trainer

JCPINVEST,
Make sure you are sorting by Visual Change with a Visual Change Period equal to half the Bollinger Band Period (rounded down).

You could actually create a formula for the Bollinger Bandwidth instead of approximating it using the technique described in the video. You could then use the same Visual Change Indicator Sort on this instead. The problem is that this is a lot more difficult to customize to different Bollinger Band Periods. The formula for a 7-Period Bollinger Band would be:

SQR(ABS(C ^ 2 + C1 ^ 2 + C2 ^ 2 + C3 ^ 2 + C4 ^ 2 + C5 ^ 2 + C6 ^ 2 - 7 * AVGC7 ^ 2) / 6)

You may wish to review the following:

Modelling Bollinger Bands (& Standard Deviation) in a TC PCF

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles