Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

EMA Cloud Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Wayne_M
Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:31:51 PM

Is there any way that I can paint the cloud between 2 EMAs? It can be done on TOS but I can't see a way to do it on TC2000.

Basically, I'm looking to paint the cloud green when the 9EMA crosses above the 20EMA and paint it red when the 9 crosses beneath the 20. I have alerts set but having the cloud painted makes it easier to follow the EMA trend visually on the chart.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:36:50 PM

Worden Trainer

I do not have any workarounds which would allow you to paint he cloud as desired.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Wayne_M
Posted : Tuesday, November 27, 2018 4:39:55 PM

OK thank you.

Wayne_M
Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:28:25 AM

Further to this question, I have set audio/message alerts to alert me when the 6EMA and 16EMA cross in either direction on a 3m timeframe. Although this is alerting me when this happens, I'm also getting lots of false alerts.

To show this, the FB example in the link below (image is on my Google Drive link - it wouldn't upload the image for some reason) shows it alerted at 11.04am saying the 6 was crossing down over the 16 where the red line is. However, you can see the 2 x EMAs are nowhere near each other and were some distance apart for the whole 3 minute candle. This was also the case at 10.59am (blue line to the left of the red line) where it falsely alerted the same thing.

This is happening on multiple stocks where I have applied the same condition and with different timeframes, etc when I adjust the condition.

Is there something wrong with the way I have this set up?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DKbMf9V_mlOXjDgHstldphQwDCb-5UdT/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.

StockGuy
Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 12:17:27 PM

Administration

It looks like you created that alert prior to adding real time data to your TC2000 this morning so they are being monitored based on delayed data.  Since your charts are now real time, it looks like they are firing late.  You will need to create any alerts you made prior to adding the real time data this morning.

Wayne_M
Posted : Thursday, November 29, 2018 1:24:37 PM

Yeh I did! Well spotted!

...and thank you! 

bcochrane
Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 8:55:37 PM

I couldn't resist a programming challenge, so there a way to plot to space between EMAs, but one might not find it satisfactory.

Plot 1 XAvgC9; plot style Area; Area fill color Green

Plot 2 XAvgC20; Plot style Area, Area FIll Color Red

Plot 3: Least(XAvgC9,XAvgC20);Plot Style Area; Area Color white or black - whatever the background color for your chart is;  Move Area Fill Opacity to the right extreme

The rub is that Plot 3 covers anything behind it. On the chart i'm playing with, that means the grid lines are hidden. I have a chart text box, and that is visible, as are the Note indicators on specific dates. I suspect that if you plot the three PCFs above first, other things you put on the chart will be visible. Anything above the Price and EMAs is visible as usual.

Hope this is helpful, and/or entertaining

bcochrane
Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:04:19 PM

Re above solution:

Looking at some other charts, the area fills hide some of the candles, which is not good. Can't think of a way around it. Darn

bcochrane
Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:10:13 AM

The complicating comestic plot is Plot 3 above. Without it, the area where fills for the two EMA plots overlap is a pale brown. With plot 3 I was trying to overcome (hide) that. If one were to use just plot 1 & 2, everything is visible (grids etc, candles etc, at the price of an unintentional fill where the two overlap

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:42:02 AM

Worden Trainer

What I did when using histogram bars to paint candles was to add a second price plot into the same pane and scale as the original price plot. You can add any symbol you want and then edit it to use the main chart symbol.

This won't help with the grid or watermark on the chart, but it does make it so you can see the price bars or candles.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
bcochrane
Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:00:12 PM

Thanks, that helps :-)

Wayne_M
Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2018 11:45:03 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

What I did when using histogram bars to paint candles was to add a second price plot into the same pane and scale as the original price plot. You can add any symbol you want and then edit it to use the main chart symbol.

This won't help with the grid or watermark on the chart, but it does make it so you can see the price bars or candles.

@bcochrane - I've plotted Plot 1 and 2 and now have the cloud filled red and green. Thank you and I'm glad I entertained you for a little while. :-)

@bruce - can you explain this solution for Plot 3 covering everything below the EMAs please? I'm a TC2000 newbie and don't know how to implement your suggestion. Thank you!

bcochrane
Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2018 10:08:15 AM

Check TCMail, I sent you a chart with Bruce's fix on it

Wayne_M
Posted : Sunday, December 9, 2018 5:20:22 PM

That's great, thank you! I'd got the wrong end of the stick completely and was trying to 'fumble' a PCF to do the same thing. Now I've seen the solution, it seems so obvious to do it that way. Haha!!!!

One of the downsides to the overall solution is although you can now see the candles, you still lose your cross-hairs, etc in that area of the chart so it's pretty much a dead zone isn't it.

I'll have a play this week and see if I can get used to that or the other option I guess is I remove Plot 3 and just have the lower section of the chart in that brown colour. Not sure which is the lesser of two evils yet but the main thing is that I've got the green/red clouds on the chart.

Really appreciate your help on getting this far chaps. If you have any more brainwaves on this or if it can be suggested to the developers as something for the future, I'd also appreciate it.

Thank you!!!

Wayne_M
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:59:05 AM

QUOTE (Wayne_M)

Further to this question, I have set audio/message alerts to alert me when the 6EMA and 16EMA cross in either direction on a 3m timeframe. Although this is alerting me when this happens, I'm also getting lots of false alerts.

After I added realtime data and now that I have the charts showing the crossovers of the 6EMA and 16EMA, I am still getting false Alerts and I've realised why. On my charts, I have the Post/Pre-Market always open and the chart EMAs are being plotted at the start of the day incorporating the Post/Pre-Market data (which is what I want).

However, I think the Alerts of the 6EMA/16EMA crossovers are being calculated without the Post/Pre-Market data included which basically means for the first hour or so the Alerts have different EMA plots to my Charts.

Is there a way to include the Post/Pre-Market data in an EMA crossover condition set for the Alerts to match the Charts?

Thanks.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:09:41 AM

Worden Trainer

No, there isn't a way to have WatchList columns, sorts, or scans use the pre / post market data currently in TC2000.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Wayne_M
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:33:28 AM

OK thanks Bruce, no worries. Now that I know, I can work around it.

Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to learn the software so I can get the most out of it.

I've now got an issue with the Option Chain as it has not populated any data for any ticker for the past hour. It did this last week for a couple of days as well.

Are you having issues with the Options data feed or is there something I can do at my end? I've tried closing TC2000 down and also launching a new Options Chain window but neither have worked.

Thanks.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:52:34 AM

Worden Trainer

Please contact technical support. You should be able to check on any sort of issue with our feeds here:

TC2000 Status

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Wayne_M
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 12:00:16 PM

OK, will do.

Thanks again Bruce.

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 12:01:15 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.