Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

New Mac version of TC2000 at last? Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Gone South
Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 12:52:35 PM

Hi Bruce,

For about the last 3 years, we Mac users have been left behind as Worden does great stuff with your Windows version. That was because of the lack of support for Silverlight and the inability to compile a native Mac version in .NET

On May 10, Microsoft announced the release of Visual Studio for Mac. At last .NET can compile native Mac applications.

An article in 9to5mac says, "Visual Studio for Mac shares the same solution format as its Windows counterpart. Teams with developers on both Mac and Windows can open and work on the same projects, sharing code across platforms and apps." 

So, it seems that Worden developers would not have to code everything in a Mac version from scratch, but could borrow lots or most of the code from the existing v17.

Does this mean that Worden will finally bring us Mac users up to speed with Windows users? We pay the same subscription fees, so we deserve a similar product.

Thanks for an update. 

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 1:42:43 PM

I'm sure Bruce will respond soon, though his stock answer is usually that he can't say when or if a certain version or feature will be available (his bosses make him say that :)

I don't want to start a Windows/Mac flame war, but this came up in another thread the other day. If all my computers were Macs, and I really liked TC2000 (especially now that TC2000 is in the cloud and doesn't need a high performance computer) I'd spend a few bucks, get a PC, and enjoy using the latest version of TC2000 instead of waiting.

Not an ideal solution, granted, but since you're a TC2000 user, I know you're making money trading, right? Take a few bucks from your next profitable trade and get a PC. Just a cost of doing business.

We won't tell any of your Mac friends, I swear :)  

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 1:53:13 PM

Hmmm, Bruce was here this morning. Probably just at lunch, unless he bugged out early to beat holiday traffic :)

Btw, I agree that Mac users have been overdue for an upgrade lately. But I wasn't trying to be totally facetious earlier - depending on your level of trading, how much you use TC20000, etc. ... a cheap PC might be worth it. 

Or not. Just a thought.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 2:09:32 PM

Then again, I'm more of a software guy than hardware, so what do I know.

But I have noticed that, since TC2000 ascended to the cloud, the only time I had a latency issue was when I had a boat-load of workspaces, EasyScans, etc., open and running simultaneously. When I pared some of that stuff down to what I was just actually using at the moment, I didn't see much of a difference, from my oldest laptop to my newest desktop PC.

Of course, your mileage will vary :)

Good luck!!

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 3:00:21 PM

Looks like either a three martini lunch, or a pre-holiday half day. I am looking forward to Bruce's response - might finally pop for a Mac to keep my iPhone company. :)

Gone South
Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 9:42:50 AM

AlexElder,

I travel too much to carry two computers. And I object to the extra spend when it shouldn't be necessary. Otherwise, your idea of getting a second computer (a PC) has merit.

In the meantime, I can't create that PCF using ADX in the formula the way that v17 users can. Version 12 really is a distinctly second-tier product now. On every other app I use, where different levels of functionality or service are offered, there's price differentiation between the levels.

I've vented on this subject before and poor Bruce has deflected as he must. I'd like to see Worden's bosses come on the forum and tell us whether they're leading us Mac users to the Promised Land... or not.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:54:42 AM

Worden Trainer

If it does actually allow us to leverage our existing code to make a native Mac version, than I am sure we will do so. That said, while there is core support, there do appear to be limitations and I really don't want to speculate as to if this release is going to be enough to allow us to release a native Mac version or how long it will take to do so if we can.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:07:20 AM

Yeah, I don't travel much and forgot about that issue. Agreed that would be a pain. I'm guessing something like an "Internet Cafe" (do those even still exist? LOL) wouldn't be an option.

I have an iPhone, and love my friend's Macs, but never got a Mac myself - I do too much Windows programming - so I haven't kept up with the Windows emulation thing. I'm assuming Parallels or something else isn't an option in this case. Are Mac users totatlly screwed when it comes to v17? If so, I feel your pain. Version 17 and 12 are like night and day.

Years ago I suggested a blog where the leadership could at least give paying customers something. Anything. Seemed like a good idea at the time. How quaint.

I've learned that Worden's bosses make Apple's management look like an open book. That's there right, I guess, as a private company, but they're spending a lot of goodwill.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:35:46 AM

Cool, Bruce. Thanks for the update. You type faster than I do. :)

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:25:47 PM

QUOTE (AlexElder)
That's there right, I guess...

"There" s/b "their".
Man, I miss preview mode. 

Put down the coffee, take a deep breath, and walk away...

Gone South
Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:42:35 PM

Thanks, Bruce. I realize there can't be any delivery date promises, but it's good to know Mac v17 is under consideration. 

From what I've read, it seems as though vast amounts of existing v17 code can be re-purposed for Mac almost untouched, so maybe it's not too much work for Worden, even if a bell is missing here and a whistle there in the Mac version.

We look forward to updates... before too long!

Gone South
Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 1:58:01 PM

AlexElder,

I never use public computers except for light surfing. Anything that requires a login is at risk from key loggers etc.

And, yes, Mac users have zero access to v17. We're still on v12, which has hardly been touched in about 3 years. We do have the option of running Windows emulation. Apart from the purchase cost of Parallels, we have some serious disk allocation and performance compromises to run Windows apps.

While Macs had only 7.1% market share last year, that reflects the fact that corporations overwhelmingly go for Windows. For individuals — Worden's main market — Macs have a far higher share. It's not just Hollywood films where you see Macs everywhere. In my extended family, Macs outnumber Windows machines 17 to 1. My 88-year old father uses that Windows machine for email and solitaire. 

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 2:05:17 PM

QUOTE (Gone South)

My 88-year old father uses that Windows machine for email and solitaire. 

I have no idea how old Peter Worden is, but I have a feeling he doesn't use a Mac. :)

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:15:44 AM

Had one final thought last evening. Probably won't fly, but ...

I know just enough about remote connection software to be dangerous, but maybe something like the Remote Desktop application on your Mac and RealVNC Viewer on a Windows box "hosting" v17 would work. Probably will take a performance hit. Don't know your trading situation - you may be able to expense the PC. 

I think I'm tapped out. Going back to play solitaire while I check my email :)

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:26:55 AM

Worden Trainer

I used the remote connection technique to run a full version of TC2000 on an Android tablet for quite a long time before getting a Windows tablet. I actually didn't see much of a performance hit, but you have to have a decent data allowance to do this regularly (or be on Wi-Fi).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:44:02 AM

That sounds cool. I don't use remote connection often, so wasn't sure if there were any latency issues.

I'm just tossing ideas out there, trying to help our Mac friends. TC2000 users gotta stick together.

Kind of sucks that Mac folks are stuck with an old version, but if .NET can really compile native Mac applications now, there's a light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

Here's hoping Mac folks get v17 before v18 rolls out. :)

Gone South
Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 2:34:25 AM

Hi Bruce,

It's been 8 months since I started this thread, so 8 months since Microsoft released .NET for Mac.

My TC2000 subscription expires in a few months, but I am feeling like an orphan stuck on 12.5 for years while the Windows version charges ahead. No suggestions for running the Windows version on Parallels is acceptable due to cost and performance lag. Remote client doesn't cut it either.

I confess that, after being a loyal TC2000 user for something like 6 years, I've been investigating what else is out there for Mac users. I don't day trade, so ProTA looks pretty good. Cheaper too. If I want more bells 'n whistles, there's MotiveWave, which also has the advantage of being the only stock analysis software for Macs that's linked to a broker here in Canada. In fact, there are lots of options for Mac users out there now.

I'd rather stay on with TC2000, since I'm so familiar with it and have a library of conditions, scans and layouts, but really... Worden is testing my patience. Rubbing salt in the wounds of neglected Mac users, Windows users of TC2000 v17 get a far more capable product for the same subscription fee. 

I don't expect Worden to offer a release date for a Mac version 17, but if we don't hear in the next few months that it's coming in 2018, then I'll be moving on. I'd regret that, but it seems as if Worden just doesn't care about Mac users anymore.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 9:57:11 AM

Worden Trainer

There is now a .NET version of the tools used to create stuff for the Mac and .NET core has been converted to Mac, but that doesn't mean all of .NET has been converted to Mac (in fact quite a bit of .NET hasn't been converted to Mac yet).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Gone South
Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 10:53:18 AM

So that means that Mac users are out of luck. We won't be seeing an upgrade of TC2000 this year... or maybe ever.

I guess we can blame Microsoft and their ongoing effort to sideline Apple users.

Still, I'm sorry to hear it.

I don't know what Worden's Mac user base is, but it will continue to evaporate unless we're offered a lower subscription price. It's seriouisly grating to pay the same price as Windows users on version 17. TC2000 for Mac is still a decent app, but I won't renew unless Worden treats me fairly for using an old and static product.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 10:58:35 AM

Worden Trainer

There is hope. Work is still being done on .NET for Macs. We still plan on having a Mac version synced up with the Windows version when it becomes more feasible. But I do not know when this might happen. We are not currently worknig on a newer Mac version.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
MauiTrader
Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 4:22:03 PM

I too am waiting for ver 18 or any post 15 Ver on the cloud or native for Apple.

Just a thought for the marketing folks.

How many users of Apple have gone to Gold because there is the value for real time or any of the other options?

Mauitrader

jchas
Posted : Tuesday, January 16, 2018 4:00:27 PM

I've been running TC2000 on a Mac for over a year now in a vmware Fusion virtual machine (Window 10).

Works fine.

Cheaper than dedicated PC hardware -- worth a look.

.../john

justincaron1
Posted : Tuesday, March 13, 2018 10:22:51 PM

i have a download of v12.4 which works on mac..

Gone South
Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:24:53 PM

Hi Bruce,

Any news on an up-to-date Mac version (presumably on .NET)?

I have been subscribed since January 2012, but have less than a month left on my current sub.

All this "maybe someday" stuff about a Mac upgrade has gone on so long that I'm now building a parallel stock analysis system on ProTA.

Both TC2000 and ProTA have advantages and disadvantages, although ProTA is native Mac, allows backtesting and costs way less. Even then, I have a huge historical time investment in TC2000 and prefer it in many ways.

Worden added insult to injury when, a few months back, it announced that Mac Gold users had to pay another $1 for Dow Jones quotes. Yeah, it's only a buck, but it's maddening to realize that we now pay MORE for Version 12 than Windows users do for Version 18.

We Mac users have been patient and recognize that the Silverlight vs .NET issue is not Worden's fault. But time marches on, .NET for Mac has been out for a year, yet there's no Mac upgrade, no commitment to a Mac upgrade, maybe no intention of a Mac upgrade. If Worden doesn't have some good news for Mac users, it'll be lights out when my sub expires on June 11.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't let my sub lapse?

Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, May 14, 2018 12:19:02 PM

Worden Trainer

I unfortunately do not have any promising news for you about the imminent release of a new Mac version of TC2000.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
cmassey
Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:34:23 PM

I agree, This is very disappointing as a longtime customer Like Gone South above.

You guys spent too much time working on your brokerage integration and totally dropped the ball on your Mac customers. My old 12.2 tells me i have to pay for Dow Jones support. Running it in a browser is slow and very limiting. I use a desktop and a laptop so maintaning and running multiple Vmware setups is cumbersome and time consuming. I'd rather my time and efforts go toward my actual trading.

I don't need anything fancy, just my layouts that i took years to get right and real time data. I've even thought abot purchasing a new laptop, but carrying an extra one around would be overkill. 

If there were an alternative software in the same price range I'd definately be gone and I'm sure alot of your customers would too. I've met Mr. Worden a few times and he's a really nice and stand up guy. I just don't see the company following his values anymore when the customers' wants and needs are not being taken seriously.

kN8
Posted : Friday, June 1, 2018 4:44:09 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I completely concur with everyone who is disappointed in Worden not updating the Mac version. Is your Mac user base really that small? 

I have been using the 12.5 version as a Gold subscriber for several years now. I find it too cumbersome to run the Windows version in a virtual environment in OSX and don't see the point in getting another device just to run TC2000. I love the software, it really helps me in my trading and I'd love to stay on.

Isn't there a way to bring the version up to speed without doing a complete makeover? There has to be something between building a native version from the ground up and no update at all which doesn't cost so many coding hours as to keep disappointing customers by not doing anything for years.

Cathyb00
Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:29:52 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

If it does actually allow us to leverage our existing code to make a native Mac version, than I am sure we will do so. That said, while there is core support, there do appear to be limitations and I really don't want to speculate as to if this release is going to be enough to allow us to release a native Mac version or how long it will take to do so if we can.

Surely there are enough poeple these days who can code for a Mac. As Macs have been around for many years. I agree that we pay the same amount as the Windows people and shouldn't have to pay more to have additions put on our computer to take up space and cost. Also If this post is a year old and you have recently said that probably before xmas that we might have the Mac version ??? Is this true or just a pacifier you give everybody. You also gave not warning to your clients ...who pay you dor a service which I couldn't use last night and had trades on! Not happy. Please give the TRUTH wheather you are actually in the process of a Macs version or not??? As I don't want to be hanging waiting for a lie. Maybe get some professional people who can code for Mac so the process may be a little faster.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 4:37:50 PM

Worden Trainer

We are currently demonstrating the full desktop version of TC2000 v18 running in pretty much any browser (including on Macs, iOS, and Android) at our traning classes. We hope to have a publicly available version by the end of the year.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
geolinas
Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2018 5:08:58 PM

Great news Bruce!!!!

markhike
Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:23:03 PM

Great news! Looks like tradingview finally has a capable competitor. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, November 19, 2018 8:26:04 AM

Worden Trainer

I haven't actually had a chance to see or test it yet, but I think it is an exciting development even for customers without Macs as it should allow for a full version of the software in mobile environments as well.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jhtck
Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 7:18:54 AM

Hi. Any news on the announced Mac-friendly version without the need to install Windows?

StockGuy
Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 8:45:39 AM

Administration

We're getting close to releasing a version that runs on Parallels which is hosted on our servers.  You will not need to install Parallels to your Mac.  I don't have an exact ETA at this point but we're finalizing the programming so I think it should be ready sometime in early February.

jhtck
Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 8:52:54 AM

ok thanks

jhtck
Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 8:54:15 AM

Presumably this remotely run version will run slower than a local installation. 

StockGuy
Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 10:01:18 AM

Administration

Depends on what you mean by slower. There is a little bit of lag when dragging windows around the desktop, but running side by side with the Windows version there's no lag in the real time data, indicators, watchlist values, etc.

nitpicker
Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2019 10:54:16 AM

And are there any news regaring a new ipad app?

Thank you in advance,

Steffen

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:40:12 AM

Worden Trainer

This new version should run on an iPad as well, so it is the same version.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
nitpicker
Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 12:27:22 PM

Thank you Bruce, so it is not a new app but rather the browser version, right?