Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

buywrite index Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Iryna
Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 6:21:51 AM

I would like to know more about it - what is good for

Where I can find it

Thank you

StockGuy
Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 9:41:40 AM

Administration

BXY.X is the CBOE S&P 500 BuyWrite Index

BXM is the CBOE BuyWrite Monthly Index

The Cboe S&P 500 BuyWrite Index (BXM) is a benchmark index designed to track the performance of a hypothetical buy-write strategy on the S&P 500 Index.

Announced in April 2002, the BXM Index was developed by the Cboe in cooperation with Standard & Poor's. To help in the development of the BXM Index, the Cboe commissioned Professor Robert Whaley to compile and analyze relevant data. The BXM is a passive total return index based on (1) buying an S&P 500 stock index portfolio, and (2) "writing" (or selling) the near-term S&P 500 Index (SPXSM) "covered" call option, generally on the third Friday of each month. The SPX call written will have about one month remaining to expiration, with an exercise price just above the prevailing index level (i.e., slightly out of the money). The SPX call is held until expiration and cash settled, at which time a new one-month, near-the-money call is written. Please visit the BXM FAQ for more information about the construction of the index.

Experienced investors can ask their brokers about the possibility of engaging in an S&P 500 buy-write strategy by investing in stocks and SPX options.

http://www.cboe.com/products/strategy-benchmark-indexes/buywrite-indexes/cboe-s-p-500-buywrite-index-bxm