Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Trend Line Issues Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Habanero772
Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:55:31 PM

Hello all,

Long time TC2000 user, first time poster. I am having some issues with drawn trendlines. Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated.

First issue. Lines disappearing in certain time frames. Notice in the following pics the orange trend line in the center of the chart (drawn on a monthly chart) disappears with one more mouse scroll zoom on my daily chart.

Issue two, certain trend lines are moving when zooming in and out. I often see it on 15min but it is not limited to this time frame. I am not using Log scaling for the trendlines or the charts when this happens.

After zooming in...

And for issue #3. Closing or current price is being displayed above or below a certain trendline and is displayed differently on another timeframe. This example shows from a monthly chart to a weekly, but this happens in multiple timeframes.

The close is shown below the trendline on the monthly but on the weekly chart below the price closes directly on the trendline or slightly above.

Any insight, information, or troubleshooting regarding these issues would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, March 1, 2018 11:15:00 AM

Worden Trainer

There are at least three things that need to be true in order for trendlines to appear on different charts / time frames at all.

1. Both charts need to have the same boards selected.
  2. The endpoint(s) need to be contained within the span of time covered by the time frame for that chart (so usually within the most recent 500 bars).
  3. If only > X% of chart is selected, then the distance between the endpoints must be more than x% of the visible portion of the chart apart from each other.

So if you switch charts, you need to make sure the same boards are selected. If you switch from a longer time frame to a shorter time frame, it is quite possible that at least one of the endpoints will be off the left edge of the chart making it so the trendline won't plot. If you switch from a shorter time frame to a longer time frame or zoom out, the chart must meet the >X% requirements in order to plot if this option is selected.

Beyond the idea of when trendlines will or will not plot at all, it is quite possible for trendlines to have counterintuitive results when changing time frames.

Let's imagine for example connecting the lows of two bars and then switching time frames and having the trendline intersect different bars or have lows which are no longer actually attached to the low of a bar when looking at the chart.

There are at least six things that come to mind where connecting two lows and extending the lines will have the extended line seem to be different relative to price when changing time frames.

1. Time frames are not all evenly divisible into each other. So if you have the endpoints at specific points in time, the slope over time can remain the same while the slope per bar changes when switiching time frames.
  2. Bars are not necessarily the same length even within the same time frame. For example, months, weeks, and years have different numbers of trading days and hourly, two hour, and four hour charts don't divide evenly into a trading day. So again, you can have the slope over time remain the same while the slope per bar changes.
  3. There are gaps between bars for weekends, market holidays, and overnight. This uneveness can again cause the slope over time to be correct, with unexpected results for slope per bar.
  4. If you connect two lows in two different Time Frames and the times of the lows don't coincide (say because the low on a 15-Minute Chart is at 10:15 but shows up at 10:30 on a a 30 minute chart), the slope per bar and the slope over time will be different because the times don't match. And the endpoints might not even seem to correspond to the lows in the bars anymore.
  5. A straight line on an arithmetic chart is curved on a logarithmic chart and a straight line on a logarithmic chart is curved on an arithmetic chart. The drawing tool however just draws a straight line between two points and doesn't take into account the original scaling when it was added to the chart.
  6. Even slight differences in where you plot the endpoints of a trendline will be magnified over time.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Habanero772
Posted : Friday, March 23, 2018 1:22:31 AM

Thank you for your prompt and thorough reply Bruce. Apologies for not responding earlier as I have been very sick for about 3 weeks now.

In regards to the trendlines appearing on charts, the proper boards are selected and the "% of chart" is not ticked. I have had mixed results with trendlines being displayed. Some have no endpoints contained in the timeframe and are still shown. Other times (on some of the longer lines) an endpoint is contained in the timeframe and, at certain zoom levels, this line disappears. Again I have verified the "% of chart" box is not checked. Ultimately I can add a longer timeframe chart to my setup.

Great explanations about different results with trendlines when switching timeframes. Very helpful. Thanks so much.

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, March 23, 2018 9:16:27 AM

Worden Trainer

If you are still having problems beyond what I have covered in my original response, I would suggest contacting technical support.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles