Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Notification sf5 Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
caution
Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 2:56:04 PM

Can we please get notify on data loss or interruption from SF5?

I've been trading for the past fews days without realizing my daily data was not updating which screwed up my signals and intern loss $$$!

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 3:21:05 PM

Whoa!

I'm assuming you meant "in turn" and not an intern losing your money, but it hurts either way.

I didn't see anything on their Status Page but if your story is true (I have no reason to think otherwise, I just don't use StockFinder anymore) then this is NOT cool on Worden's part.

Perhaps there's a way to set up a scan that would give you a heads up that prices have not changed since the last time you checked. Or maybe just eyeball a few of your favorite stocks or indexes.

I'm a programmer, and computers are only as reliable as the people who coded them and the people that support them. Humans f*ck up. Or don't anticipate every contingency. It happens.

It won't help with what already happened, but I'd come up with a quick check myself that takes a few seconds each day.

I don't have to tell you what happens to people that assume.

You shouldn't have to, but it's your money on the line.

Good luck!

caution
Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 3:47:03 PM

My bad on the type o, just frustrated at the lack of attention to SF5.  With some minor fixes that could make life bearable for SF5 users, yeah i'm for that.  And while you're at it, throw in some FX and commodities  data as well.

SF5...still superior!

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 3:48:27 PM

Worden Trainer

The StockFinder servers weren't down. There was a technical issue with the particular installation of the program / data which needed to be fixed in order to get that installation of StockFinder working again.

The program was broken and needed technical support to help fix it.

I don't have a data gap and nobody else has reported any data gaps.

It may not have worked in this case, but StockFinder as a progarm already tries to notify you of data loss or interruption.

StockFinder has a Data Status window at the top of the program indicating what data has been downloaded. You can click on to bring up the StockFinder Data Downloader info to get additional information on what has been downloaded and the progress of any current downloads. There are options to re-connect to the servers and force update within these windows.

The progress in the downloader is outlined in quite a bit of detail. There are normally error messages indicating what went wrong if there is a problem.

I don't know what status was indicated at the top of the main StockFinder window or in the StockFinder Data Downloader. It should have indicated the information already mentioned, but the program was in a broken state, so maybe it did not.

If your frustration is with lack of attention to StockFinder, then I don't have anything promising to say.

I like it too. TC2000 does a lot of stuff better, but I like that SF has a full programming language. I like that the data is stored on my computer instead of remotely.

That said, StockFinder is no longer in development and is not going to get any new features or bug fixes. So if the Data Status did not let you know if the data was not updating (even though it should have), then it probably would not do so if the same exact issue happened again.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 4:17:30 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
StockFinder has a Data Status window at the top of the program indicating what data has been downloaded. You can click on to bring up the StockFinder Data Downloader info to get additional information on what has been downloaded and the progress of any current downloads. There are options to re-connect to the servers and force update within these windows.

I'd forgotten about the StockFinder Data Downloader - haven't used SF in years. Being a programmer, I'd always monitor that. But I guess you can become complacent, and as Bruce says it could say things are great, when in fact the software is temporarily broken, and is lying to you.

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
I like it too. TC2000 does a lot of stuff better, but I like that SF has a full programming language. I like that the data is stored on my computer instead of remotely.

I don't mind having the data in the cloud, but kudos on the full progamming language. Great minds think alike. Maybe when Peter Worden retires Bruce will get the corner office and we can get TC2000 a real programming language. :)

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
I don't know what status was indicated at the top of the main StockFinder window or in the StockFinder Data Downloader. It should have indicated the information already mentioned, but the program was in a broken state, so maybe it did not.

So if the Data Status did not let you know if the data was not updating (even though it should have), then it probably would not do so if the same exact issue happened again.

Again, this is why you should check a stock or two or three to make sure price data has updated. Probably can't write a scan since if the data hasn't updated you can't scan for two consecutive days being equal. I guess just a quick eyeball check is in order. Hopefully you didn't lose too much.

Lots of folks use two platforms, either because one doesn't have every feature they want, or as a backup in case one platform is down. Maybe you can check the prices on FreeStockCharts.com after you update SF, or just take a quick peek at your broker's platform and check a stock or two.

Just trying to keep this from happening to you again, or preventing it from happening to other SF users.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 4:29:17 PM

QUOTE (caution)
My bad on the type o, just frustrated at the lack of attention to SF5.  With some minor fixes that could make life bearable for SF5 users, yeah i'm for that.  And while you're at it, throw in some FX and commodities  data as well.

SF5...still superior!

Sorry, I didn't mean to make fun of your typo - losing money sucks and isn't funny.

As much as I liked SF, I decuded to move on years ago when Worden announced that development had ceased.

In the past, Worden would offer a break on the price if you had bundled SF & TC2000. Not sure if that's stlll available.

The power of inertia never ceases to amaze me. I'm as guilty of it as anyone. I can see still using SF, and I'm not trying to disparge the loooooong time Worden customers ... I just can't believe that folks are still using v7. 

At least you can take comfort in the fact that if v7 is still around, SF is probably safe in your lifetime, or Worden goes under as a company.

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 10, 2017 4:32:46 PM

And as you can see above, I'm not immune to typos. <misses preview mode>

decuded? disparge? Oi Vey!

bbachus
Posted : Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:50:16 PM

?Is Stockfinder still funcitonal?  It no longer downloads new infro.

StockGuy
Posted : Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:22:26 AM

Administration

Yes, I use it almost every day. If you have not run it in a long time you may need to uninstall and reinstall the data.