Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Options Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
spartakis
Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:13:29 PM

Trying to learn options once again. One thing I noticed is volumne very low if not 0 some days on the options I want to enter.  I know TC2000 don't have much scans or anything for options. Seems like you have to have a very high volumne traded stock or will volumne pick up.  For instance I  bought Puts today very small amount on GWR because overbought and other technicals on the chart.  But  literally the only one that bought it looks like. If the price decreases like I am hoping should be enough open interest or bids to make money? Or do you just find a list of high option traded stocks and trade those. Hoping this is a solid place to ask. Thanks

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 1:20:49 PM

Just my opinion, but trading option contracts with little or no volume is just asking for trouble.

Wider bid/ask spreads mean you start off in a hole and need a larger price move just to make a profit. Also, I assume you bought an option to sell it - if there is little or no voumne in a given contract, who are you going to sell it to?

I could go on, but Google is a beautiful thing. :)

Here's a good blog post over at TastyTrade: Who said it best: liquidity

The best parts of the article are the links to several videos that address things like bid/ask spreads, open interest, volume (stock & option), etc. 

Good luck!

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 3:57:55 PM

Another link that might help:
https://www.tastytrade.com/tt/blog/2015/1/29/liquidity-the-tastytrade-dough-trading-strategy

They're obviously not the last word, but the folks at dough & tastytrade look for bid/ask spreads that are $0.10 or less, the tighter the better. Why start out a trade in the hole?

They also look for stocks trading over 2 million shares and options with thousands of contracts traded. That seems pretty restrictive; you can probably relax that a bit. We all need to determine what works for our situation.

As for open interest, they prefer options with over 500 contracts in open interest.

Good luck!

spartakis
Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 8:28:03 AM

Thanks, you are correct and why I got turned off last time I tried trading options. Sticking to SPY and higher volume and closer bid/ask prices

Al_Gorithm
Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 11:22:47 AM

Happy to help.

Here's another short, good read that might help:
http://www.ivtrades.com/the-best-stocks-for-options-trading--day-trading.html

OIC maintains a "Today's Most Active Options" list which might give you some ideas:
https://www.optionseducation.org/tools/todays_most_active_options.html

Finally, I can't vouch for this list, and have nothing to do with Theotrade.com, but they have a list of "best" stocks for trading weekly options. It wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes and pull up their optiion chains to see if they're your cup of tea:

83 Best Stocks to use for Weekly Options

Symbol

AAPL
TWTR
BAC
SPY
VXX
EEM
MSFT
FB
GDX
T
UVXY
XLF
EBAY
QQQ
X
XOP
XLE
KMI
CMCSA
JD
PFE
GLW
CSCO
IWM
ABX
GE
DVN
FXI
XLU
BP
INTC
EWZ
XME
C
VZ
NFLX
SLV
YHOO
POT
BAX
XLK
COP
HAL
AAL
NOV
BABA
XLP
EWG
OIH
DAL
XOM
EFA
VRX
SBUX
GG
WFC
MS
JPM
APC
PYPL
HYG
SLB
CVX
SDS
NVDA
NEM
LUV
SPX
RUT
FXE
GOOGL
LVS
XRT
GS
MCD
DIS
TLT 
GM
GLD
KO
XLI
XLV
FXI
albertobalparda
Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 11:06:05 PM

QUOTE (spartakis)

Trying to learn options once again. One thing I noticed is volumne very low if not 0 some days on the options I want to enter.  I know TC2000 don't have much scans or anything for options. Seems like you have to have a very high volumne traded stock or will volumne pick up.  For instance I  bought Puts today very small amount on GWR because overbought and other technicals on the chart.  But  literally the only one that bought it looks like. If the price decreases like I am hoping should be enough open interest or bids to make money? Or do you just find a list of high option traded stocks and trade those. Hoping this is a solid place to ask. Thanks

no abras Opciones con Open Interest menor a 120