Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Morningstar fundamental data one quarter behind? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jbclem
Posted : Friday, March 7, 2014 5:43:46 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

For years I've noticed that the TC2000 fundamental data was spotty, often missing, and didn't correlate with data from other sources (ie: Investors Business Daily).  Today I see, at least for the one symbol I'm looking at (MPEL), that the EPS Percent Change Latest Quarter watchlist column is showing the data from the quarter ending Sept 2013.  We're in March, 2014, and there's been a quarter after the Sept 2013 quarter, namely December 2013.  And that quarter ended 3 months ago. 

So what's up Worden family?  Is this the best you can do, three month old fundamental data. 

Here's another example: stock symbol EOG...IBD gives EPS %Chg Latest Quarter= 24%, TC2000 says it's 212.80%.  Quite a difference!

i like TC2000 v7 because it's so quick and easy to access charts and to sort watchlists.  But I've never trusted the fundamental data because whenever I've checked specific data figures, they never seem to be the same as those from the other source I watch(and trust!), IBD.  And since fundamental data is a big part of stock picking, you'd think there would be a premium placed on it's completeness and it's accuracy.

Am I wrong?  Please let me know, maybe Investor's Business Daily has bad data all the time.  What do you think...

lex6ix
Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:10:59 AM

I noticed just last night that earnings percent change latest year has a ton of inaccurate data. VRX earnings % latest year -584% as an example. I love using TC, but it would be better if Worden drops fundamental data until they can get it accurate. We are making investing decisions with this program so it is a huge problem.

jbclem
Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 6:02:46 PM

Here's another example noted yesterday: PANW (Palo Alto Networks), comparing EPS % change and also ROE from TC2000 vs Investors Business Daily (IBD).

TC2000...EPS % Chg Latest Q = -1319.60%       IBD...EPS % Chg Latest Q (Jan'14) = +100 %

TC2000...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back =  -108.50%    IBD...EPS % Chg  2nd Q back (Oct '13) = +60%

TC2000...Return on Equity (ROE) = -26.90%         IBD...Return on Equity (ROE) = 7%

MichaelR
Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:40:27 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

I would appreciate some response from Worden on this as it seems like a very simple question.  Why so long without an answer?

I am interested in this as well.

jbclem
Posted : Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:20:42 AM

Two or three weeks ago I emailed  Worden technical support about this, and refered them to this message thread and the examples given.  They got back to me and said they'd relayed the information to their data people.  They told me they had recently switched from updating the fundamental data once a week to every day.

I wish I could say that had made a difference.  Although I have seen some data that matched up with the IBD data, most of the time I find large differences.  Here are some recent examples:

SLCA:

TC2000...EPS % Chg Latest Q =  -25.80%             IBD...EPS % Chg Latest Q (Mar. '14) = +6%

TC2000...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back = +12.40%        IBD...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back(Dec '13) = -24%

BWLD:

TC2000...EPS % Chg Latest Q =  +23.80%            IBD...EPS % Chg Latest Q (Mar. '14) = +71%

TC2000...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back = +65.40%      IBD...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back(Dec '13) = +24%

TWTR:

TC2000...EPS % Chg Latest Q = no entry           IBD...EPS % Chg Latest Q (Mar. '14) = +150%

TC2000...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back = no entry       IBD...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back(Dec '13) = +300%

MGM:

TC2000...EPS % Chg Latest Q =  +96.90%             IBD...EPS % Chg Latest Q (Mar. '14) = +633%

TC2000...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back = +82.40%        IBD...EPS % Chg 2nd Q back(Dec '13) = +148%

There's another symbol, SKX, where the data matches pretty closely...but only if you ofset everything back one quarter.  So the EPS % Chg for the Latest, in Telechart, matches the IBD EPS % Chg data for the Q ending Dec. 31, 2013, and so on for three quarters.

I keep hoping someone will notice and make the necessary improvements.  I'd be really embarrassed if it was my company.

skutney
Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:01:13 PM

I noticed thate $NSDA, $DSDD, $NYEA, $NYED, NDVOL, NUVOL, QDVOL, and  QUVOL have not been updated the last two days.

In regard to the differnece between IBD and TC2000 V7. I've been trying to understand this problem for years. I've called Worden and they tell me the data comes from Morningstar.

I've compared compared IBD to actual earnings announcements. The data appears to be accurate. I think it's ProForma. I think that's the right word. Meaning that the company removes extra ordinary items. Like....sale of a building...paying claims resulting from a legal action.  At any rate it's the same numbers that are on the earnings announcements by the companys.

The %change in EPS in IBD means compared to the prior year. There numbers are generally accurate because they have a database which has the prior years numbers.  

IBD does not include companies based in a foreign country.

I'm not sure what the Morningstar numbers mean. 

When I get a request for Morningstar membership I disregard it.

davelzr
Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 10:19:23 PM

Still not solve till now. They seems to ignore these problems

Steve_S
Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 11:10:58 AM

I was just searching the forums in hopes to find some support in this issue. I read that for earnings data it is a rolling process as companies report earnings from an earlier post, so I decided to check back after the next quarter. This issue is still not resolved and now seems worse.  Here is an example of earnings showing in TC2000 right now for TAST. As you can see it says next earnings on 3/3/2017. Next earnings is actually 5/10/2016. Last earnings was on 3/03/16 - so TC2000 is showing the last reported earnings date as next earnings date, but it can't even get the last reported date correct and is off by a whole year. It was also stated that TC2000 gets data from morningstar, I checked morningstar and even a free account shows the correct date. Any guidance on how to approach this, if a fix is being looked at......anything would be greatly appreciated.

jbclem
Posted : Friday, January 5, 2018 6:24:17 PM

Since this problem continues with no end in sight, I'm wondering if the Telechart owners are unaware of it's magnitude.  Peter Worden must not use fundamental data (such as %EPS change) in his calculations.  So he may not know about this problem.  I don't know how to reach him, but I suggest that everyone concerned should try to send letters or emails to Peter Worden about this problem.  Perhaps there's some pride left in the family and they'll try to get this right.