Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Converting ATR daily to intraday time frames Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Telework
Posted : Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:54:43 PM

I have a formula for an oscillator i am using on a daily chart that uses ATR 21 in its calculation. What I would like to do is plot this on a 2 hr chart while keeping an approximation of the same values that I see on the daily chart. This is pretty difficult to do because ATR is based on daily price range and not the price range of a 2 hr bar.

I do a lot of converting moving averages between time frames. So, for example, the 5-day ema on a daily chart converts to approximately a 20 period ema on a 2-hr chart.

However doing this with ATR seems difficult for a 2-hr chart. In order to get an approximation you would not be able to base your calculation on daily low, high, and closing prices, but instead would need to skip back 4 bars in the calculations.

Not sure if i'm being clear enough, but if you have an idea of how I might accomplish this it would be great.

I'm currently using ATR 21 on the daily charts but would like to have something for ATR 14 as well.

Josh

Telework
Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 12:01:25 AM

Or is there a simpler way that I can pull in an ATR 21 daily number to be used in a calculation for a custom pcf indicatior on a hourly or 2 hour chart?  

I see that you can save an indicator with a specific time frame, but that doesn't seem to hold when you import it into a chart with a different time frame.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 11:08:07 AM

Worden Trainer

I cannot think of a way to do this in TC2000. A longer period is not going to return daily values because it is still based on the range of the intraday bars.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
diceman
Posted : Monday, October 20, 2014 11:57:08 AM

Telework it depends how accurate you need it.

One possibility is to multiply the 2 hour by a factor till its "close" to the daily.

1.39 looks like a good value.

Some samples I looked at quick:

VZ daily 21 ATR= .67                VZ   2 hour 21 ATR * 1.39= .74

V daily 21 ATR= 3.53                  V  2 hour 21 ATR * 1.39= 3.31

CAT daily 21 ATR= 2.25            CAT  2 hour 21 ATR * 1.39= 2.13

While not perfect its close.

Thanks

Telework
Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:05:04 PM

Not a bad idea diceman. I'll play around with it.