Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Related Sectors, Industries and Stocks Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
bcochrane
Posted : Sunday, July 27, 2014 9:26:09 AM

Bruce, hoping you can help me, or least clarify how TC2000 is supposed to work relative to what I am trying to do. I'm trying to emulate the sector/industry equity flow that Jim Farrish works with, where he uses ETFs..

I have a layout with separate windows for three different watchlists

1. Sectors

2. Industries

3. Stocks

as well as a Chart which normally displats a stock, but can show an Industry ot sector chart if I so select.

All are identically color coded for Symbol link.

The stock watchlist is REL, meaning when I click on an Industry or sector, the watchlist changes to the stocks in that Industry or sector. For example, if I click on SX80, the watchlist changes to stocks in SX80. That part works as I expect.

I would like it if there was an automatic way to have an Industry watchlist change to show just the industries in that Sector, so that I could find the strongest Industry within the strongest sector. Is there a way to do that?

When I click on an Industry (eg iX1080, the stock watchlist chnages to stocks within that Industry, which is what I would expect and want. However, there is no identification of the sector to which that Industry belongs, such as high lighting that sectors row. Is this how the system is to work? This isn't too big an issue, as the list of Sectors is fairly short.

When I start with a particular stock eg IBM in the Chart window of the layout, the Stock Watchlist changes to stocks in ts Industry, but doesn't go to the row of that stock unless I enter the stock symbol in the chart window a second time. It would be nice (I think) if it did so when I first entered the stock symbol. Is this a consious design decision? If so, I can live with it, but curious.

Also, when I enter a stock symbol in the chart window, there is no change in either the Sector or Industry watchlist.  It would be nice if those watchlists at least scrolled to the respective line, and ideally high lighted it , so that I could see quickly how the sector and industry to which the stock belongs are performing.

As it performs for me now, I need to scroll up or down in the Stock Watchlist to find the Industry identifier, and its indicators.

If I do locate the Industry symbol in my stock watchlist (in the case of IBM iX2320), clicking on it doesn't cause the Industry symbol to be highlighted or even displayed in the Industry Indexes window, I have to either enter it in the chart window, or manually locate it in the Industry Watchlist. In the case of iX2320 there are 52 symbols I have to search thru to find the industry index. I can find it more quickly by soting the stock watchlist be symbol, and the Industry symbol is at the bottom. Then I can resort the watchlist by whichever indicators I am using at the moment.

The linkage between sector, industry and stocks is a great feature of TC2000, I just wondering if there are some things I'm missing which would make it work more smotthly for me. Hope my explanations are clear. If it would help, I coould TCMail the layout to you.

Thanks

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 3:18:59 PM

Worden Trainer

I've read through your post several times. I do not know if the behavior was a conscious design decision or not. In part because I'm not entirely sure how you have things set up, but mostly because while I can test actual behavior, I have no way to know for sure what the intended behavior might be.

I'll start with some tutorials videos on the subject which you may or may not have watched already (although I'm guessing you have considering how far you are in settings things up).

Related Items WatchLists (6:05)
Sector & Industry Analysis Tools (8:34)

There are two types of sector and industry WatchLists.

There are the Sector Indexes and Industry Indexes WatchLists which list the sectors and industries in the program. These WatchLists will not change which symbol is selected based on active symbol in another WatchList.

There are also Sector and Industry component WatchLists which lists the components in each sector and industry. These WatchLists will automatically change to different WatchLists if they are Related Items type WatchLists.

When you select a different symbol in one WatchList, it will generally not automatically select the same symbol in another WatchList even if it is the same color. What will happen is that the active symbol for that color will be highlight in the WatchList (in blue in my copy). A symbol that is selected in a WatchList which is not the active symbol for that color will also be highlighted (in yellow in my copy).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
bcochrane
Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 3:54:51 PM

"There are the Sector Indexes and Industry Indexes WatchLists which list the sectors and industries in the program. These WatchLists will not change which symbol is selected based on active symbol in another WatchList.

There are also Sector and Industry component WatchLists which lists the components in each sector and industry. These WatchLists will automatically change to different WatchLists if they are Related Items type WatchLists."

I think this answers my question about being able to identify which Sector an Industry belongs to, since when I click on Watchlists, we are offered "Stock * Member of * Industry * Sector", but not "Industry * Member of Sector", so that isn't going to work :-)

I am using " Related" type Watchlists, I checked that after reading your repsonse.

So the only two questions which I have left, if htat's what they are:

"When I start with a particular stock eg IBM in the Chart window of the layout, the Stock Watchlist changes to stocks in ts Industry, but doesn't go to the row of that stock unless I enter the stock symbol in the chart window a second time. It would be nice (I think) if it did so when I first entered the stock symbol. Is this a consious design decision? If so, I can live with it, but curious.

Also, when I enter a stock symbol in the chart window, there is no change in either the Sector or Industry watchlist.  It would be nice if those watchlists at least scrolled to the respective line, and ideally high lighted it , so that I could see quickly how the sector and industry to which the stock belongs are performing."

This linking is a cool feature. If I select a stock in one watchlist, a separate Industry Related stock watchlist immediately changes to all stocks in the same Industry as the one I selected, making it easy compare a stock I'm interested in for other reasons (say, seasonal strength) against all others in its Industry without losing it in the first watchlist; ie I can space down an entire watchlist doing that.

Thanks for your help, as always.

I have tried to send my layout to you via TC Mail, let me know if its get to you.

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 5:11:26 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (bcochrane)
When I start with a particular stock eg IBM in the Chart window of the layout, the Stock Watchlist changes to stocks in ts Industry, but doesn't go to the row of that stock unless I enter the stock symbol in the chart window a second time. It would be nice (I think) if it did so when I first entered the stock symbol. Is this a consious design decision? If so, I can live with it, but curious.

I don't know if it is deliberate or not. The behavior is inconsistent on my computer. Right now, sometimes they scroll and sometimes they don't. Usually only one scrolls, but it is not the same WatchList each time.

QUOTE (bcochrane)
Also, when I enter a stock symbol in the chart window, there is no change in either the Sector or Industry watchlist.  It would be nice if those watchlists at least scrolled to the respective line, and ideally high lighted it , so that I could see quickly how the sector and industry to which the stock belongs are performing.

The Related Items Sector and Industry component WatchLists do in fact change for me when I change the symbol on the chart directly.

The Sector Indexes and Industry Indexes WatchLists don't change at all when I select other symbols in other WatchLists or on the chart.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
gregs2
Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 7:39:36 AM

Creating Sector or Industry Index Easy Scans in v12.4 versus v. 12.3 Main or Sub industry groups:

In v.12.3, I could create an easy scan, choosing either the main or sub industry group as the list to scan from, then add conditions to screen out the stocks in that main or sub industry group that did not meet those conditions.

That way, when I spaced through stocks from another watchlist, this main or sub industry group easy scan would not only follow along by listing the related stocks that were in the same main or sub industry group, based on the current stock selection from my watchlist, but this easy scan would also screen out those stocks in that related industy group that did not meet the conditions I added to the easy scan.

In v.12.4, if I try to create the same type of easy scan by choosing either sector or industry indexes as the list to scan from, since Main or Sub industry group watchlists are no longer available in v. 12.4, and then add conditions, when I space through a separate watchlist, the related stocks that exist in that sector or industry index no longer follow along in the easy scan, like it did in v. 12.3 choosiing the main or sub industry group watchlist as the list to scan from. 

Sure, I can follow along in a retated items watchlist, but it lists ALL the stocks in that sector or industry. I can't find a way to add conditions to screen out the stocks in that sector or industry that don't meet my conditions. Instead, if I choose sector or industry as the list to scan from when creating an easy scan and then add one or more conditions, it doesn't produce any results, let alone follow along.

I guess v. 12.4 doesn't link the new sector and industry indexes as viable choices to use as lists to scan from when creating an easy scan and then follow along, like the older 12.3 version's main and sub industry groups would do.

Is somebody working on restoring this time saving industry group easy scan feature in v. 12.4 that was avaiable in v.12.3? It dramatically saves time by not having to sift through stocks in a related group that do not meet my criteria conditions in the first place like, adequate liquidity.

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:44:12 AM

Worden Trainer

It is a bug. There is a workaround, but it only works when you are creating the EasyScan from scratch. It will not allow you to change the List to Scan of an existing EasyScan to Sector or Industry.

Start by opening up the Related Items window. Then click on an indicator on the chart and select Create Scan Condition. When you are done creating the condition choose Add to an Existing WatchList or Scan. This will allow you to select Scan WatchList in the Related Items window.

Once you have turned the Related Items window into an EasyScan, you can add other conditions to it normally and delete the condition you used to turn it into an EasyScan if it is not one of the conditions you actually want to use in the EasyScan.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
gregs2
Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:02:45 PM

Worked like a charm, except  I had to save the easy scan, then close the window and then retrieve it from the easy scan menu in order to both, clear up the overlaid edit and scan tabs, as well as click between them. Prior to closing and then retrieving the easy scan, I couldn't switch between the edit and scan tabs to modify the conditions.

I'm assuming your gurus are working on this bug...??

Thanks Bruce

Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 4:08:11 PM

Worden Trainer

The bug has already been submitted to development.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles